Is your's a 'back door' home?

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #11  
We have 5 doors, confuses the heck out of new pizza delivery guys :confused2: Most people learn to use the side door which is closest to the parking in front of the garage and family either uses that one or the 'back' door. Only people who have never been to the place use the front door as it is 2-3 times as far to walk as the side door :D

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #12  
Basement/ backdoor home hear. A knock just tells me I don't need to answer because it's someone I don't know. All my friends walk right in.

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #13  
My parents only use the back door, so did most of my friends. we use the front door to the garage, not the regular front door.

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #14  
Our "home" is a 3 door, 156 year old stone farmhouse. The long lane leads to the side door and a welcoming "portico". The big front door is mainly used to shake the dust-mop out. The other door is off the sunroom and looks over my lake, (pond) where my pontoon boat is parked.

But yes that "side or back door" is hardly ever locked and leads through a small porch into the big old farmhouse kitchen. This kitchen's big feature, (and my particular pride and joy), is my big old 100 year old cast-iron wood burning "cookstove".(fancy, lots of chrome, (nickel).

When I bake bread or do some canning,...it heats the whole house,... but from late fall to spring it just idles along keeping the kitchen comfortably warm,.. an inviting place to warm your hands and park your boots awhile. The overhead "warming-oven" may (or may not) hold some warm goodies to nibble on?

I think the "back-door" and big warm kitchen is a wonderful place for folk to hangout. Many older farmhouses "seem" to encourage the main traffic directly through a backdoor into the kitchen with lots of room to sit at the big ole "harvest-table" for serious discussions,.. OR, a drink, snack and perhaps a giggle or two? (that stems from when men went from farm to farm to help one another at harvest time,.. and all came in to eat at the big kitchen table where the women set out some pretty hearty meals 2 or 3 times a day).

Thanks for the topic,...a very good one!

CHEERS !
. . tug

PS : Hello "alchemysa",..or should I say G'dye mate!! I see you are located "close to the beach". Oh boy! I hope (and actually have been praying for you folks down there), and I hope "you" are NOT one of the unfortunate flood victims. Our news pictures show absolute devastation,... and as stated, I hope you are not involved. Good Luck!!
God Bless !!
. . tug

Last edited:
   / Is your's a 'back door' home? #15  
My farm house had a nice recessed front door out of the weather. I was thinking about making parking and landscape that would direct people to the front when visiting. Turned out that it was a much better "woodbox" than entryway. Never did do the landscaping.
Mf

/ Is your's a 'back door' home?
Our "home" is a 3 door, 156 year old stone farmhouse. The long lane lea
PS : Hello "alchemysa",..or should I say G'dye mate!! I see you are located "close to the beach". Oh boy! I hope (and actually have been praying for you folks down there), and I hope "you" are NOT one of the unfortunate flood victims. Our news pictures show absolute devastation,... and as stated, I hope you are not involved. Good Luck!!
God Bless !!
. . tug

No problems here. We're a long way from any floods. But its quite amazing, the entire eastern coast is suffering floods, from Queensland down the Tasmania, thousands of kilometres south.

David

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #17  
My parents built a new house in '83, it was raised up quite a bit because of too much ledge, so the front door was about 8' above grade. They figured they would have a nice wraparound porch that people would use to get to the front door.
It was 10 yrs later by the time they built the porch, by that time everyone was used to the basement entrance. :laughing:

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #18  
ALCHEMYSA : WHEW !!! ...glad to hear it David. All the best to you mate!
. . tug

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #19  
I'm building a new home for the wife and, well I guess me too. The back door has two sets of steps built already so you can come in from the front or the back. The front door has a porch, but no steps. You can come in there if you'd like, but you'll need to climb up a bit, and we'll be sure you don't know us.

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #20  
We use the front door - - - to let Chief out! :D