ISO Advice on buying a used M4900

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #11  
Any ballpark idea of what a clutch replacement would cost on this tractor? If I see danger of worn clutch, I might just try to talk them down since I'd be expecting to have that cost in the near future.

M4900 has a wet clutch, right?
not up on older models, others here more so. if the 4900 has a hyd shuttle (not shuttle shift), then it has a wet clutch. common knowledge that wet clutches have a superior design & longevity than single dry clutch type. wet clutches have been around a long time
in general, clutch jobs are quite expensive, whether on vehicles or tractors. yours would have to be split to do the job. it's another question for your hired mechanic as to the deal

Last edited:
   / ISO Advice on buying a used M4900
Don't play around looking at the tractor for more than a day or two.
Good used tractors are very hard to find in this current market.
If you dally,..... someone else will buy that tractor!
Welp, I think it's already gone. I had set up with them to drive to look at it this afternoon and the message thread went quiet. I pushed a bit, it was the guys wife who was messaging, and she replied that she thinks he sold it.

The thing had been posted for 6 weeks, I didn't think I had to rush. I've been looking at it and drooling but didn't have a solid financing option. Finally got that and was ready to pull the trigger if the tractor checked out.

Dang! $14k for it, seems like it would have been a good deal.

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #13  
Welp, I think it's already gone. I had set up with them to drive to look at it this afternoon and the message thread went quiet. I pushed a bit, it was the guys wife who was messaging, and she replied that she thinks he sold it.

The thing had been posted for 6 weeks, I didn't think I had to rush. I've been looking at it and drooling but didn't have a solid financing option. Finally got that and was ready to pull the trigger if the tractor checked out.

you'll run across the right deal. much better to post here & check out your options than jump stone cold into a deal like that. it will pay off. & agree that decabbing would not be worth it. patience is a virtue that's been a costly lesson for me :)

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #14  

He who hesitated just lost!
With used tractors, it happens dozens of times daily in this market.
If you are not ready to act, when you see what you want, it just becomes another unfulfilled dream.

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900
So of course I'm continuing my search. I found an M5700 that on first glance looks like a decent option for me. But when I pulled it up on tractordata, it shows way less 3pt lift strength and lower gpm on hydraulics than the M4900. I get that it's likely just a different pump on the hydraulics, thus the lower gpm. But why would a tractor with 7+ more hp have 1000+ lb less lift strength at the 3pt? Is this a typo on tractordata?