Issue with electric log splitter

/ Issue with electric log splitter #1  

Baranx4

Gold Member
About 5 yrs ago I purchased a task force electric log splitter I believe it's a 5 ton model. Ran good for a few years, last year I had to replace the inline resettable fuse with no issues till today. We burned more wood this year than I expected so I went out to split some seasoned logs that I have, split wood for about ten minutes and then it wouldn't run anymore. Motor hums but won't run hydraulic pump. I tapped on electric motor hoping something was bound up but nothing. Hydraulic fluid is good, so I am at a loss. From what I guess it's a capacitor, any other ideas.

Also I'm not sure if it's worth fixing as I have found a nice tractor mounted unit that will do 20 plus tons.

/ Issue with electric log splitter #2  
I've got a 4 ton electric splitter, that thing would take on water if you were standing next to it drinking a beer lol. I'd have to take the cover off the electrical box and dry it out. By the second year I had decided to get one of those grey colored "wet location" style boxes and a cord connector. Two years later and no problems since. At least try drying it out for a day or two to see if it works.

/ Issue with electric log splitter #3  
What type wood can be split with a 4 ton splitter? The ponderosa pine I have here could stop my 35 ton splitter dead in its tracks. A round with multiple knots could be like trying to split a granite boulder. I'd spin and hit the round so many time it ended up looking like mush.