It takes all kinds

/ It takes all kinds #11  
People are just unbelieveable.

/ It takes all kinds #12  
Just to play devils advocate here.. but if any of these guys would have asked politely BEFORE showing up and hunting on your land, would you guys have allowed it?

/ It takes all kinds #13  
See this is where people do it wrong IMO. I ask first, offer help with labor in return for some opportunity to hunt there with a few select people.

This guy ruined everyone's opportunity to hunt on the land because if I owned it I wouldn't let anyone on there if this is what you need to put up with.

/ It takes all kinds #14  
I've been in my new house for a little over a year. I really was too busy with house stuff last year to worry about hunting, but asked the farmer of the land all around me if me, my best friend and my son could dove hunt his cut corn fields... he agreed and chuckled when he said "don't worry about it... you can hunt anywhere anytime around here".

Believe it or not, I was astounded at his generosity. I was expecting much worse and was in fact ready for a tongue lashing for even asking. I wish there were more people like him... and fewer that take advantage of people like him.

Even though the idiots exist out there.. and even if he is hammered by one in the future, hopefully he will see that not everyone is like that and handle the bad apples but continue to let the good guys hunt on his land.

Here is where I stray a little though. I do in the very slightest way feel for the guys that handle themselves incorrectly by just showing up and hunting. MANY feel threatened. So many country folk are now immigrants from big city life where the views are lean much less to the old time values and conservatism. Guns and hunting are commonly looked at by those as evil. Thus the threatened feeling they get. Many handle it inappropriately and just show up hoping at the best to be found out and quiietly allowed to continue, or at the worst get run off after the fact.

/ It takes all kinds #15  
getut,

In 1999 we had another bad drought year here in Texas, such as we're having here now. That large tank was the only place my cattle had to water, and usually the shotgun fire will run the cattle away from the tank itself. Additionally, the trees on and around the tank dam provide shade cover for the cattle too on very hot days. I guess I'd have to answer you by saying that no, I wouldn't have allowed them to hunt had they asked in advance. Besides, 100 yds is too close to my house for people I don't even know to be shooting at birds flying this direction, and that direction.

Had they asked in advance to hunt at the opposite end of my property, I'd probably have said OK, but they never gave me that chance.

/ It takes all kinds #16  
UncleBuck,

I don't blame you one little bit. It is your land, you don't owe an explanation although you probably would have kindly explained it to a hunter asking to use your land if you had been asked. In your situation, with good reason I would do exactly the same thing. It is also refreshing to find that IF asked about it you would have allowed them to hunt another area of your land.

/ It takes all kinds #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( CYA and call the police if he shows up again. )</font>
Too late for CYA. He's already threatened to shoot the guy, and apparently said the same to the cops. If he does have to shoot him, he's likely to be facing murder charges. A lot more likely than if he'd been more careful with his words, anyway.

No, I don't like it, but that's the reality of the law these days.

/ It takes all kinds #18  
The problem today is that so many people do not respect private property and boundarys. There are some neighbors around me that think nothing of riding their 4-wheeler across your land for whatever reason, or shooting a high-powered deer rifle across your land. These people don't understand when you politely tell them not to do this. I did not purchase my property to provide a recreational opportunity for these people.

Many of us purchased acreage and built a home on it for privacy because we were sick and tired of the subdivision life and intruding neighbors. So imagine how someone like this feels when Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob from down the road settles in 100 yards from your house in the woods and cuts loose with a 30-06 on a Saturday morning while you're enjoying a hot cup of coffee on what you thought was the privacy of your own home's front porch.

I'm a former hunter and own lots of guns and have no problem with responsible hunters and gun owners. However, people that trespass, poach and irresponsibly discharge firearms are the ones who cause more and more legal restrictions on hunting and firearms ownership and give evidence to support the legal arguments of the anti-gunners/hunters of the world.

/ It takes all kinds #19  
What we have found is that there usually are only a few bad people and they are the ones everyone hears about and meets because they bounce from place to place so often. The one way to get rid of these people is to keep buying up the land around you and properly post it. If they are caught on our land we call our friends in the DEC and they come over and correct the problem. Then as the land around us comes up for sale we expand and remove more of their access. Now, we own most of the hunting land around here and post ours and our friends so we have around 700 acres posted up here. This eliminated the problems we were having with a couple guys (who hunt in groups but the groups change around these guys). What is funny is every time we buy more land we hear about these guys complaining about us buying more land.

The hardest part is the first couple years. After that they get the hint as well as everyone else in the area that would look to disrespect you and your property.

However, do not threaten someone. It can turn around and bite you. Just tell them to leave and if they give you any trouble just report it to the police and have it on record if it happens again. Good luck.

/ It takes all kinds #20  
I seem to recall a story in the paper about a land owner who took his gun to confront some guys who were shooting ducks on his duck pond. Ended up with his own private Iraq in his back yard.The miricle was that no one got shot. I'd let the police deal with people with guns. They are trained for it and you pay for them.

Chris