It's just sad... (flail content)

/ It's just sad... (flail content)
I lose some when I overlap but not much. The outside of my tires are almost perfect to use as a guide with my six footer. I may lose 6 inches per pass but it has to be that way I guess. what really cost time is when you leave a strip a few inches wide and have to go back over it cutting a full 6 foot. I used to do that quite often. :(

/ It's just sad... (flail content) #12  
What I always wonder is how much overlap one really has when mowing.
I've often wondered that myself. I have a 60" BushHog rotary cutter, 3-point mount. Our field is pretty steep in places, so I have the tractor wheels set wide. I pull the cutter to one side so it cuts the tire track on one side, which makes the wheels on the other side a pretty good gauge. But even then I wonder how close I really get to using the full width of the mower. It's even worse on side-hill cutting. While I mow the steepest place up and down the hill, it's easier for the rest going round and round. When I do that the cutter tracks at least a foot off toward the down-hill side, making it even tougher to keep it cutting full width.

Terry

HM...
speaking of taking a long time, the plowing I show in my avatar was 10 acres plowing with a 2 bottom 14 inch plow. 28 inches per pass. Pulling between 3 and 4 mph, all day, two days. Of course that included BS time with my friend who owns the land, beer breaks er, I mean, refreshment breaks, etc. That was a LONG two days.

/ It's just sad... (flail content) #14  
You guys really need to get setup with GPS on your tractors. 6' mower? Set the GPS to move over 71.5" each pass. Think of the fuel savings. Probably need to consider it for the lawn mower also.
Just kidding, of course, but sure would be fun to play with. :)

You guys really need to get setup with GPS on your tractors. 6' mower? Set the GPS to move over 71.5" each pass. Think of the fuel savings. Probably need to consider it for the lawn mower also.
Just kidding, of course, but sure would be fun to play with. :)

I already have GPS, at least in my truck. I didn't know that until one day I was going to take an unfamiliar trip and was looking at a map to plot my course. My friend said why don't I just use my GPS. It's a ladies voice that tells you when to go, when to stop, when to turn, when to go straight, slow down, speed up...
All these years I thought that was my wife but now I know it is GPS.
One day my friend asked me if I knew how to reduce the road noise in a vehicle. He said leave the wife at home. I asked if I leave my wife at home, would my GPS still work?
:D:laughing:

And if I want my wife to know I said this, I'll tell her. ;)

/ It's just sad... (flail content) #16  
Allen, if you want to post your wife's cell phone number here, I'll give her a call and save you all the trouble. After all, what are TBN friends for. :D

/ It's just sad... (flail content) #17  
CROP CIRCLES!!!!

DO IT! DO IT!

:thumbsup:

/ It's just sad... (flail content) #18  
HM...
speaking of taking a long time, the plowing I show in my avatar was 10 acres plowing with a 2 bottom 14 inch plow. 28 inches per pass. Pulling between 3 and 4 mph, all day, two days. Of course that included BS time with my friend who owns the land, beer breaks er, I mean, refreshment breaks, etc. That was a LONG two days.

When I worked on the farm as a kid and teenager, I sometimes had to plow a 160 acre (1/4 section) tract with an old Minneapolis Moline tractor pulling a 3 bottom moldboard. It was a perfect square, and I plowed it that way as one big field.

It was always depressing to make that first pass around the field and come back around to where I started and see how little I how plowed and realize how many more rounds were in front of me. It took several days. But it always felt good to finish.

/ It's just sad... (flail content) #19  
Were You lucky enough to have a MM with propane for fuel Poopdeck Pappy?

/ It's just sad... (flail content) #20  
That takes me back to the days on the farm as a kid also. You knew the field was big when the overturned dirt from your previous round had already dried out on top.