Its up and running!!!!

/ Its up and running!!!! #1  

Goldchaser

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM155D and an Allis Chalmers 120 hp
Thanks to all the help from everyone here and all the advice, my little YM155D is up and running good and strong. Took it down the road to my neighbor and back, a total of 2 miles and it ran great the whole way. The only problem noted was that the radiator light came on once and I throttled it down, let it idle a couple of minutes and then shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes, then started it back up and it ran fine the rest of the time and the light stayed off. I dont like the light. I think I would prefer a gauge so I can see just how the temp is doing. Has anyone bypassed the light and installed a temp gauge?

Havent gotten the FEL back on it yet. Still have to replace two hoses on it before I do that but if I get time, should be able to do that tomorrow.

And just to say it again. This critter sat unused outside in the weather for 8 long years. Its taken me about 4 weeks total to get it back into running condition but didnt take anything major.

Thats a YANMAR for you!!!:D :D :D

Dennis

/ Its up and running!!!! #2  
Congratulations Dennis!
I wish you many happy hears of tractoring. I had a lot of fun pulling the kids last night on a hay ride with my 155.
Craig

Attachments

• hay_ride.jpg
    hay_ride.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 270
   / Its up and running!!!! #3  
Good to hear. You are going to love that little, powerful tractor. I loved mine.

/ Its up and running!!!!
swedish-fish said:
Congratulations Dennis!
I wish you many happy hears of tractoring. I had a lot of fun pulling the kids last night on a hay ride with my 155.
Craig

Well, didnt get mine going in time to do that, but there is always next year. ;)
Am looking forward to using it this winter to help dig us out of the snow. My neighbor got the one driveway dug out but wasnt able to dig out the garage and my shop so we had to do it by the shovel full. Having this will make it alot easier. :)

Liked you photo of the hayride. Looked like some happy folks.

Dennis

/ Its up and running!!!! #6  
Goldchaser said:
Am looking forward to using it this winter to help dig us out of the snow. My neighbor got the one driveway dug out but wasnt able to dig out the garage and my shop so we had to do it by the shovel full. Having this will make it alot easier. :)

Work up some weight for the rear & you won't be able to stop it. I have about 500 lbs of 2" thick plate steel scrap from a machine stop welded on a 3pt hookup. In addition, the rear tires were also filled. My 155 only had a blade on the front, but I was pushing 6' wide snow, 3' deep and not breaking a sweat (as long as I kept 2 wheels off of the blacktop).

My neighbor with a larger Deere with a FEL couldn't hold a candle to the 155. The 155 literally plowed 3 - 4 times as much snow as his JD in the same amt of time.

/ Its up and running!!!! #7  
Goldchaser said:
...up and running good and strong. ... radiator light came on once... I think I would prefer a gauge
That's great to hear it's running!!!!

I didn't have any doubt. Mine was similar, it sat semi-abandoned for about that long. Flushing the fuel system and all fresh fuel made it run like new.

My advice is spend the money to get the radiator rodded out, instead of a gauge to show you it is running hot. These were designed to run at full rated power driving a rototiller for the life of the tractor without overheating. If it overheats at lesser load, then something doesn't meet spec - most likely internal blockage in the radiator.

Enjoy your new tractor!

/ Its up and running!!!! #9  
Great to hear another yanmar was resurrected from the elements.
I just testored a 155 back top life last week.

I sold it the next day to someone who will take good care of it (I hope)

Do as california says and have that radiator fixed.
The correct mixture is 70% water 30% antifreze.

best wishes on your project
Ernie

/ Its up and running!!!!
California said:
That's great to hear it's running!!!!

I didn't have any doubt. Mine was similar, it sat semi-abandoned for about that long. Flushing the fuel system and all fresh fuel made it run like new.

My advice is spend the money to get the radiator rodded out, instead of a gauge to show you it is running hot. These were designed to run at full rated power driving a rototiller for the life of the tractor without overheating. If it overheats at lesser load, then something doesn't meet spec - most likely internal blockage in the radiator.

Enjoy your new tractor!

Let me tell you...at the beginning I figured I had an all winter project on my hands. 2 weeks in, I was beginning to wonder. Last week, i was thinking, hmmmm, it just might not take even a few more weeks. This week. Well, I drove it. I think my friend was even more surprised. He really didnt think I would get it running without some major overhaul.

I am going to try flushing the radiator one more time. If it gets hot then I will pull the radiator and take down to the local radiator shop and have him core it. Didnt have time to work on it today. WAs in town all day.
I might have time tomorrow, dont know. Sunday no way..I have a hog to hang that afternoon so that will pretty much take up most of my time. And then Monday I will be processing it. Then clean up. <sigh> So am hoping tomorrow otherwise, wont be doing anything with it till Tuesday at the earliest.

Dennis