I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice
Jim,

Did you find it as easy as we did to set it up? We were shocked at how simple it was.

Of course, we still can't figure out how to get Steph's Dell laptop to recognize the signal from the Kyocera KR2 router, but that's another issue that we're working on.

We're really looking forward to plugging it into her laptop while driving someplace. That just seems like something impossible. Gonna have to see it to believe it.

Eddie

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #62  
We're really looking forward to plugging it into her laptop while driving someplace. That just seems like something impossible. Gonna have to see it to believe it.

Eddie
Yea, no need for maps or GPS then!

It is really cool - but then again I wonder how "over-the-top" it can become. When I went out with my 18 yo a few months back to find his first car to buy - we would stop at a lot - browse - write down VINs of ones he liked - get back in the car and run CarFax reports, check AutoTrader on the fly, etc

Biggest issue becomes battery life - but little power inverter takes care of that

-Eric

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #63  
Originally Posted by EddieWalker
When I moved out to my land, I did some online searches and decided to go with DirecWay Sattelite for my interenet connection.

That was about 4 years ago, and since then, I've had five seperate technicians out here to fix my system, I've had everything replaced from the cables to the dish and modem replaced at least once, and some parts replaced several times. When it works, it's OK at best. Uploads are always slow, but downloads on a good day are pretty fast. If it rains, the signal is likely to be lost depending on how heavy the rain is. We've lost the signal due to the frost on the dish on cold mornings and have even lost it on cloudy days.

Most of the time, it's just annoying and frustrating. Last year, after HughesNet took over DirecWay, they came out with a new modem. The HN7000S, which we received. Since then, it seems like the problems are even worse. It's more likely to lose it's signal on the lightest of rains and cloudy days.

In April, it got so bad that I had to have a technician out here again. Cost for that was $125. He was here three times becuase the problem was my dish wasn't working anymore. The two he carried with him didn't work either. So after a week of being offline, he came out and got it working again with a full 90 day warrenty.

It's almost 120 days since then, and it's not working again. Or I should say, this morning, it's 80 degrees outside, clear skies and I haven't had a signal for the last two hours. I have one now, but it's not something I can rely on. The customer support said that my dish and modem are not reading each other and that I need a technician out here again for another $125.

To say I'm unhappy wouldn't begin to cover it.

I'm paying $60 a month for lousy service and have hundreds of dollars into this worthless equipment and service calls. The technolody isn't getting better, it's actually been worse over the last year.

I have a phone line and might just go back to dial up. I hate the idea of it, but I hate throwing away money on something that doesn't work even more.

There are several threads on cell phone internet connections that I'm curious about. Who has this, where did you get it, and would you recomend them? I'll change cell providers for my phone if that helps to.

Please help!!!!!!!!

Eddie

I have tried repeatedly and offered repeatedly to help any of you who may be having problems with your Satellite based broadband connection. I have had years and years experience putting them in and fixing them.

There is so much said on this forum that is quite frankly not at all factual. One person said that Wildblue and Hughesnet were the same company. That is about as far from the truth as night and day. I don't know where some of you get your information.

First of all I would agree with Eddie that a Hughesnet system is about as consumer unfriendly as one could get. I know I have spent years putting them in and fixing them. Many dealers have dropped them simply for that reason.

The Wildblue system is really quite dependable. At first they as a company were facing two problems. 1.) They were wildly successful right out of the chute. 2.) Their success created massive network problems that they have fixed and/or are getting their arms around. Since their inception, they have launched a new Satellite and now have two up operating. It has helped immensly getting things ironed out.

Most of the problems that people are experiencing fall in one or more of these categories. Too tight line of sight. You can not put one of these systems in at the same location of your Dishnet or Directv antenna, iff you have a tight line of sight. You should have a minimum 10 degrees of clearance from ANY possible obstruction...especially trees. Look at your mounting location and then look at the antenna. Many of you think that the angle of the arm is the angle of clearance you would need.....but think with me here....your signal does not come in at that angle. It comes in at a higher angle and REFLECTS into the collector or subreflector on the front of the antenna. Therefore if you are back under an ovehanging roof or tree etc., you are going to have problems.

Next category....Your installation is garbage. Look carefully at your cable run. Is there tight turms? Does the cable run have gentle sweeps? Look carefully at the cable....my reccomendation is that you have 3ghz rated cable in your system. Those specifications are written on the cable somewhere. Tell me what you have for connectors....are they the crimp style connectors?? They should be, NO MUST BE compression style connectors. Why do I ask? Because a crimp style connector will cost your installer .07 cents and a quality compression connector will cost 25 cents. So guess with me what 90 percent of the installers use.

Next category....is there a visible ground block in your system? That would be where the cables come and terminate on one side and then hook to the other side and continue on into your home or office. From that ground block you should see a #10 solid copper green wire running to your ufer ground. The ground strap should not be more than 20 feet. That would be the ground below your power meter or where your power enters your home to the main switch panel. Somehow, YOU MUST HAVE A GROUND HOOKED UP PROPERLY, to your ufer ground. If your antenna is clear on the other side of your house....then guess what, you should have a ground rod driven every 6 feet and then the ground strap connected to each of them and BONDED to your ufer ground. YES THAT TAKES A LOT OF WORK, AND IS NOT FREE.

Final category.....cable length. How many feet of cable are you running from your antenna to your modem?? I don't care what the specs say....EXPERIENCE says that if you get over 70 feet you are begging for problems. Also if your cable run is too short...you are begging for problems as well.....keep it minimum 40 feet.

Finally let me make some general observations...some are factual and some are observations from years of experience. Every time I go to a service call that is experiencing "slow page loading," they all have one of three things in common. First they either have Norton or McCaffee virus programs, and they have AOL all through their computer. That is an observation. Factually, many of you grab things from the net that will make your computer "run faster." Some of googles programs do nothing but raise havouc with page loading on SATELLITE BASED SYSTEMS. Factually many of you have two or three firewalls operating. You may not know it but if you check....you will find out that is so. If you are running a router, you should turn off all of your other firewalls. The router is your firewall, in other words it has its own firewall.

Observation....I have found that if you are running VISTA, go in and turn off your Phishing filter. That really creates slow page loading.

Some of you will wish to argue with me, particularly about firewalls. That information comes directly from Satellite engineers who are also computer engineers. I don't know what a "GREAT" virus program is....I just know that some will screw up your computer and cause slow page loading....and others try to take over your computer. I have tried several, but I am not any way shape or form an expert on any virus programs.

Finally, I have owned both systems....Hughes Net, and Wildblue. I am going on three years now with Wildblue. I have had four times that my system was not operating....other than those times when Wildblue is performing maintenance on the system. I have DSL running right by my home, and have my system run comparisons to my neighbors...and I will not switch. Now if Cable or Fiber ever comes to my home....I will switch in a heartbeat.

My biggest gripe with much of these complaints is this....it seems like no one will listen when you tell them to pay attention to the installation. This is not like Dishnet or Directv...you can not just slap them in and call it good. For example the sweet spot for most Dishnet and Directv antennas is about the size of a basketball.....for Hughesnet and Wildblue the size of a tennis ball. Also, and I reccomend highly purchasing Wildblue, should you purchase a system...get off of this nonesense that Dishnet and Directv have conditioned you.....THERE AIN'T NOTHING FREE....The more free you EXPECT, the bigger screwing you are going to take.

Thanks for listening.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #64  
Jim,

Did you find it as easy as we did to set it up? We were shocked at how simple it was.

Of course, we still can't figure out how to get Steph's Dell laptop to recognize the signal from the Kyocera KR2 router, but that's another issue that we're working on.

Eddie

Eddie, I got an email after I ordered the modem that said I should call a number for activation. The instructions that came with the modem didn't mention calling, but I did it anyhow. A very nice customer service person came on the line and volunteered to stay on the phone while I installed the modem software on my desktop. When I had authentication problems with user name and password, she transferred me to another very helpful person who gave me simple instructions. After that, everything worked perfectly.

I installed the software on Kathy's laptop after the desktop. I didn't need any help and the installation went very quickly. Both systems work perfectly. I just plug in the modem, run the Verizon application, and I'm online. All this from a little flash-memory sized adapter.

Like you, I can't wait to try this on the road. When I mentioned to Kathy that she could take her laptop to her mom and dad's house with the modem, she smiled ear-to-ear. I think we are going to really like this. It's truly as simple as operating a cell phone.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #65  

Like you, I can't wait to try this on the road. When I mentioned to Kathy that she could take her laptop to her mom and dad's house with the modem, she smiled ear-to-ear. I think we are going to really like this. It's truly as simple as operating a cell phone.

I have both type devices, EVDO cell phones and a EVDO USB modem.

If the cell phone would offer the higher speeds of REV A for EVDO I'd drop the USB modem all together. Hopefully by the end of the year, manufactures will provide that ability.

Currently I use the cell phone as my modem when mobile. It offers more security when entering customer areas. Plus it offers windows mobile.

People tend to overlook Smart Phones in the rush to EVDO, but they have their place.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #66  
WarrenF - you make valid points, but one thing is still at issue when it is all said and done. Latency. No matter how well the installation is performed and maintained, you are still transmitting miles into space. I had DirecWay in the early days. Web and file downloads were fine - even impressive. I believe this is primarily due to content caching. My biggest issue was point-to-point connections - be it POP3 email, telnet, VPN, etc - they may have improved this in the last six years, but I'd imagine it will never get to a point to be as viable as other network medium.

Also, I agree about proper installation. The knuckleheads they sent to install mine could barely spell "dish". I could have set this up if they would have let me. All these guys did was call the NOC and had them walk them through positioning for the transmitter. On my 3rd service call they finally sent a retired Navy Chief that knew his stuff - just by luck of the draw.

Anyway, satellite, in my mind, is very last choice. It will only improve slightly over time, while cellular is making great strides in improving broadband capability. Not bashing the dish - but it's just laws of physics IMHO.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #67  
WarrenF - you make valid points, but one thing is still at issue when it is all said and done. Latency. No matter how well the installation is performed and maintained, you are still transmitting miles into space. I had DirecWay in the early days. Web and file downloads were fine - even impressive. I believe this is primarily due to content caching. My biggest issue was point-to-point connections - be it POP3 email, telnet, VPN, etc - they may have improved this in the last six years, but I'd imagine it will never get to a point to be as viable as other network medium.

Also, I agree about proper installation. The knuckleheads they sent to install mine could barely spell "dish". I could have set this up if they would have let me. All these guys did was call the NOC and had them walk them through positioning for the transmitter. On my 3rd service call they finally sent a retired Navy Chief that knew his stuff - just by luck of the draw.

Anyway, satellite, in my mind, is very last choice. It will only improve slightly over time, while cellular is making great strides in improving broadband capability. Not bashing the dish - but it's just laws of physics IMHO.

You are correct with regard to latency. However in most of the sales info I have seen, both Hughesnet and Wildblue say, not reccomended for gaming or LIVE online stock trading.

Satellite Broadband Internet will not compete with Cable, Fibre, or DSL that is up to date. However for those situations that are devoid of any of those options....DO IT. But make sure you understand how important the installation really is. Also make sure you pay close attention to the settings of your computer.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice
Warren,

As you've read here, my experience with Satelitte hasn't been very good. I'm a big fan of the technology and the idea of being able to have high speed interenet anywhere. When it worked, which might have been for months at a time, it was fine and I was very happy with it.

My system has been totally replaced, re-installed and then done all over again numerous techs and companies. While I agree that some are better then others, they all seem to knock the previous guy and tell me what was done wrong and how they are going to fix it. And they do. It's always better when they are done then it was ever before.

But in heavy rain or with especially dark clouds, it wont work. The guys that came out here all said that a commercial setup with 2 watts instead of just one watt would be better, but that's not something I'm going to pay for right now. They all acknowledge that one watt is marginal for power, but that it should work through most storms. The key word here is "should."

The first question our friends in India ask when I call for support is what the weather is like outside. If that wasn't an issue, I doubt that it would be the first thing they ask me.

This leads to the real issue with satelitte. It cannot be fixed by the average homeowner. When it goes down, you have to have a technician come out to fix it or replace the bad parts. Since Hughesnet only uses remanufactured parts in their repairs, you often end up with junk the first time out. In my case, he had to wait for more transmitters to arrive because none of the ones he had worked. They were still in the box and taped close when he got here, but that's what you get with Hughesnet.

I was down two weeks because of a bad radio transmitter back in April. I had a 90 day warrentee on that work, and four months later, it's not working again. That means another service call and another tech to come out to fix it.

Like most people, I work and it's not convienient to wait around for somebody to come here. Their rules are that somebody has to be here for them to climb around on your roof, which makes sense to me, but still a days wages lost waiting around to pay somebody to fix something that was just fixed.

With this cell type connection, I can go to Alltel and get a replacement. The key word here is "I." When I can go it myself on my schedule, it becomes very, very appealing to me. Very few people can say this on Satelitte.

With what I'm experiening with this type of connection, I would seriously start to look for another source of income. Satelitte is dead and it's just a matter of time until more and more people find out that a supperior option is available to them. I just wish I had found this sooner.

Eddie

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #69  
Eddie,
You had asked me how it was using the air card. Well, it is working pretty darn good for us, and almost all my posts have been from our new home. It's not as fast as DSL, but sometimes it does fly surprisingly fast. Most of the time it is noticeably slower than DSL, but very acceptable though.
A couple things I've noticed with our AT&T card.
When one of us is downloading a large file, the other can tell.
Downloading photos is noticeably slower.
When opening an attachment, I found it opens much faster when I right mouseclick and open up in a new window rather than another tab.
I don't know if it's just my connection or if in fact it works better that way? Perhaps you can try it and let me know if it makes a difference for you?

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #70  
Warren,

As you've read here, my experience with Satelitte hasn't been very good. I'm a big fan of the technology and the idea of being able to have high speed interenet anywhere. When it worked, which might have been for months at a time, it was fine and I was very happy with it.

My system has been totally replaced, re-installed and then done all over again numerous techs and companies. While I agree that some are better then others, they all seem to knock the previous guy and tell me what was done wrong and how they are going to fix it. And they do. It's always better when they are done then it was ever before.

But in heavy rain or with especially dark clouds, it wont work. The guys that came out here all said that a commercial setup with 2 watts instead of just one watt would be better, but that's not something I'm going to pay for right now. They all acknowledge that one watt is marginal for power, but that it should work through most storms. The key word here is "should."

The first question our friends in India ask when I call for support is what the weather is like outside. If that wasn't an issue, I doubt that it would be the first thing they ask me.

This leads to the real issue with satelitte. It cannot be fixed by the average homeowner. When it goes down, you have to have a technician come out to fix it or replace the bad parts. Since Hughesnet only uses remanufactured parts in their repairs, you often end up with junk the first time out. In my case, he had to wait for more transmitters to arrive because none of the ones he had worked. They were still in the box and taped close when he got here, but that's what you get with Hughesnet.

I was down two weeks because of a bad radio transmitter back in April. I had a 90 day warrentee on that work, and four months later, it's not working again. That means another service call and another tech to come out to fix it.

Like most people, I work and it's not convienient to wait around for somebody to come here. Their rules are that somebody has to be here for them to climb around on your roof, which makes sense to me, but still a days wages lost waiting around to pay somebody to fix something that was just fixed.

With this cell type connection, I can go to Alltel and get a replacement. The key word here is "I." When I can go it myself on my schedule, it becomes very, very appealing to me. Very few people can say this on Satelitte.

With what I'm experiening with this type of connection, I would seriously start to look for another source of income. Satelitte is dead and it's just a matter of time until more and more people find out that a supperior option is available to them. I just wish I had found this sooner.

Eddie

Eddie, don't get me wrong. Had I experienced what you have, I would throw the thing away, or take an eight pound sledge to it. My reason for responding is quite straight forward. First and foremost is to reiterate the absolute importance of a high quality install. Second, to once again point out the fact that FREE isn't FREE if things don't work.

Finally, I guess the major reason I responded is some of the BS that I saw posted. The most flagrant one, that Hughesnet and Wildblue are the same company. It is just beyond me how nonesensical crap like that gets put out there and then believed.

Regarding rain taking down a system. YES IT WILL AND DOES TAKE DOWN SYSTEMS. Their is a major difference in rain storms in Texas and rain storms in Idaho. When you get a four inch rain in Texas, you really mean FOUR INCHES OF RAIN. When we get a four inch rain in Idaho, we really mean that we had a rain drop every four inches. The only way you can mitigate the frequency of that happening is again, INSTALLATION. Honestly, it is my opinion only, that a rain storm/event should take out your Dishnet or Directv system BEFORE it takes out your Satellite based Broadband Internet system.

What is supposed to happen with your internet systems, your modem will constantly adjust the power output to your radio/transmitter unit....boosting power in rainy situations and pulling back the power when it is clear skies.

Finally, I called the "technichian support" line while having trouble bringing a new Hughesnet install online. I got India, and the young man said "elloh mi nahme is Sahib, but you can call me George." My response was direct and blunt....I said Sahib, am I talking to India? He said yes. I responded, Sahib, no offense but this is an AMERICAN COMPANY, and if AMERICANS cannot take care of their own equipment, you can tell them for me, I have a system that will not come online, brand new customer, and will not come online because I am talking to India. I will hang up the phone now and pack up my tools and leave this system as is....simply because I am talking to India. His response, would you like to talk with an American? I said Yes. Immediately I was transfered to an onshore, American, who spoke English I could understand.

That was the last Hughesnet I touched.....and for that reason will not touch another one.