Loader J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help #1  

copperman1948

Tractor
John Deere 5410 with 540 front bucket is my work tractor. Have a 47 J.D. Model A, have 4 Farmalls
Can anyone help!

I have a 5410 tractor with a 540 bucket that worked find until i pulled a stuck vehicle out using a hook I had welded to the top of the bucket.

Next day the bucket would not uncurl. It puts enough pressure on the hydraulic line to move the line going to it but the buckets stops like it has fully extended.

The cylinder shaft only extends about 2 inches before it stops hard.

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Sounds like you bent a rod, or damaged the gland nut in one or both cylinders. Or if is the self-leveling model possibly bound up or bent one the levers for the leveling feature.

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help #3  
Do the curl/dump cylinders look bent?
Check that the curl hose is not disconnected, not allowing oil to return, when dumping.
Lift and lower work OK?

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help
Zebrafive,
Thanks for the response.
Yes the lift and lower works fine.
I will check the return hose on the bucket curl to see if that is the problem.

Thanks,
dave register.

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help #5  
If the cylinders look ok, you may want to check the rod that runs between the loader booms item #8, if it is bent. In incase you have not already found it I have included the JD parts URL. Always nice to see how things look inside, if you need to open up the cylinders.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Last edited:
   / J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help
Gentlemen,
I am a bit embarssed to admit this but I found the problem. As Zebrafive suggested, it could be a loose connection on the fluid return line. Well it was, it didn't look like it was loose but when I pushed on it it moved just a bit and that was all it took. The majority of my problem is at 62 years old I am a mechanic in training.

I joined this site today and was very impressed with the reception I recieved to my question. You guys are great, thank you all very much.

If every there is anything I can do to repay your kindness, just let me know.
Dave Register.

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help #7  
It's always good when the fix's are easy and cheap-or better yet in your case free. Glad you got it fixed! In the future though you may want to pull heavy loads from the rear drawbar rather than the loader, that is what it's designed for. I went right for the damaged cylinder/linkage because of what you said you did before the loader stopped working.

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help #8  
I had the same thing happen to me only I called the dealer to get my answer. I felt real sheepish when the dealer told me what to check but also real happy that all I had to do was plug a hose back in. I have the same loader on my 5210 with rear remotes. I had added fuel and since I was leaning on the hoses while doing so one of the hoses got unlatched. Its happened a couple of times since but I know right away what it is.

I also unhooked a hose once with the top link with my logging winch attached. Glad the solution was a simple one.

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help #9  
It's always good when the fix's are easy and cheap-or better yet in your case free. Glad you got it fixed! In the future though you may want to pull heavy loads from the rear drawbar rather than the loader, that is what it's designed for. I went right for the damaged cylinder/linkage because of what you said you did before the loader stopped working.

Yup... That's one of the reason's I opted for the front weight bracket mount (with the center pin) on my 5075.

I'd rather pull from that point rather than the loader bucket.

Another observation - opinion - if you're gonna pull or pick/pry a heavy object with the loader; work from the center of the bucket if at all possible.

Next best option is to work in line with both loader arms/curl cylinders simultaneously - with the chains equal length - for balanced lift.

Less possibility of "tweaking" one of the loader arms.

AKfish

/ J.D. 540 bucket won't uncurl, help #10  
Gentlemen,
I am a bit embarssed to admit this but I found the problem. As Zebrafive suggested, it could be a loose connection on the fluid return line. Well it was, it didn't look like it was loose but when I pushed on it it moved just a bit and that was all it took. The majority of my problem is at 62 years old I am a mechanic in training.

I joined this site today and was very impressed with the reception I recieved to my question. You guys are great, thank you all very much.

If every there is anything I can do to repay your kindness, just let me know.
Dave Register.

Your posting the problem and the fix is thanks enough. It may help someone else in the future. Glad it was a simple fix :)