jack of many, master of none....

/ jack of many, master of none....
Tomshouse,

Welocme to TBN. Several questions:

1. You had/have good water from your 125' deep well - why did you abandon this well? Was it low producing or running dry?

2. What is the flow rate of your old well versus your new well?

3. What region of the country are you? FL and the south (or high water table areas) seem to have 4" wells thru sand where in the Northeast we have 6" wells thru granite..

4. What are your neighbors well depths - do they have good water? At what depth?

5. Do you have enough land to move a well to another area? I think if your neighbors (if in a 500-800' radius of your place) have good water you should be able to get good water too.

*** Carl< Thanks for the reply. The 125 ' well is a 11/4 " gavlnize pipe well. Its been there mostlikely 40 plus years. I think if I install a pump that I know is good I might get water. I ran 125' of 3/4" copper pipe and washed the well out. I got dirty,leaves, and then some grey looking sand. I have a neighbor about 300' plus who has a 4" deep well and his water is good. It is appox 130 deep. I live within 500 to 600 ft from a deep creek. I live in Virginia on the east coast. I am so disappointed on the money spent to get such BAD water. I have looked into a filter system. Among many I found a company called buget water. The reviews look good and I talked to someone from there. Appox $1,000.00 for a system. We had the well put in the month of may of this year. The pump is below ground. My house,drive way,flowers, doors and everything this water has touched has turned rusty red brown looking. There no way to know what kind of water you are going to get, but it looks like I am the only one having this problem. Wells at at 45' to 145' in my small neighbnor hood. I am sorry this is so wordy. Thanks for your replies...Tom

/ jack of many, master of none.... #12  
I have high iron content in my well too but a water softener takes out the most of it, so is not too bad. A freind pumps his well with hi iron into a tank with a slotted cap on his discharge line to spray into the tank. The aeration he says helps and he draws off the top half of the tank. Also if you go with a tank make sure you have a Fire department compatible connector so you can tell your insurance agent that you are ready for an emergency:thumbsup: helps keep the rates down since most of us don't have hydrants around the area.

/ jack of many, master of none.... #13  
I've been having a go around with wells the same way you are. The property has two 4 " drilled wells heavy with iron, for which we are in the process of installing an iron filter.
The third well is only 16 feet deep with 1 1/4" pipe and has great water, but the point plugged up and we have to replace it, or get a bigger excavator to dig another well. All we had was a 3/4 pipe inside the 1 1/4 to the pump but, you're at 125 ft and my understanding is that a shallow well pump will only lift about 26 feet. What kind of pump are you using with 1 1/4 pipe to lift that far? Can you run a 3/4 pipe down the 1 1/4 and pump it with the pump you have. The flow would be cut down but might get you by with a large pressure tank.
Just a thought .
Smiley

/ jack of many, master of none.... #14  
Tomshouse,

So, you put 3/4 " copper inside the 1/1/4 pipe and got brackish water with leaves etc in the old well?

Is it not covered with a cap? But anyway, by the sound of things I would pull the 1 1/4" galv pipe out (will either take a tractor or a pulling rig) and put in a 1/2HP submersible set at 115' or so.

This is not really a DIY job pulling galv pipe - I did a 2HP submersible 30 yrs ago on 1 1/2" galv pipe down 260' that was a job.. even with the right rigging and clamps to hold the pipe.

The rationale of putting in a new pump in the old well is 1) if the flow rate and water is good then you are better off with this well, 2) the cost of a 1/2 hp pump is around $500 and you probably have a tank now.

The other option of filtering your new well for $1000 isnt a bad one, but over the long term filters and media for treatment will cost you a fair amount..

So my suggestion is if your old well is productive and a good quality water, and you can get the pipe out that would be my first choice..

/ jack of many, master of none.... #15  
Just a thought... How do you know the well is 125 ft. deep?

/ jack of many, master of none.... #16  
Around here we would drop a new submersible pump on poly pipe down the old well casing. If the well is 125' deep then the pump would probably be 115' (or more) down.

/ jack of many, master of none.... #17  
I've been having a go around with wells the same way you are. The property has two 4 " drilled wells heavy with iron, for which we are in the process of installing an iron filter.
The third well is only 16 feet deep with 1 1/4" pipe and has great water, but the point plugged up and we have to replace it, or get a bigger excavator to dig another well. All we had was a 3/4 pipe inside the 1 1/4 to the pump but, you're at 125 ft and my understanding is that a shallow well pump will only lift about 26 feet. What kind of pump are you using with 1 1/4 pipe to lift that far? Can you run a 3/4 pipe down the 1 1/4 and pump it with the pump you have. The flow would be cut down but might get you by with a large pressure tank.
Just a thought .
Smiley

Hey Smiley,
I can answer part of your question, about a shallow well pump only pumping 26 (to 29 MAX)feet. The depth of the well doesn't matter, just how far it is to the water down in the well casing. One way to determine the water depth is to put a small (rounded corner)weight on the end of a long string and lower it in the well casing. When you hear the "plop" of it hitting the water, pull it back up and measure how far down it is. Then drop the same string back in and let it go down until you get slack in the string, which tells you the weight is on the bottom of the well, which will give you the depth of the well. (might as well do both so you know what you have.) The biggest problem you might run into, is if you are pumping water out of a well with a shallow well pump and the water level drops as you pump. (meaning the well isn't producing as fast as your pumping) If the water level in the casing drops below the 29' mark, the shallow well pump isn't going to handle the job. Not sure what the symtoms might be if this should happen, just know it would have to be a problem.
To the O/P,
I would seriously consider putting a PVC liner in that old well, or something similar. I am sure a GOOD pump/well guy could advise you on it. I would have stayed away from drilling a new well, but since you already did that, it is done. The copper pipe you dropped in the old well was a good start, but I would think a pvc well liner might give you a little better results in flow rate. If you can drop a liner pipe into the existing well with some sort of foot valve on it, you wouldn't even need to go the full depth of the well, just needs to get to below the operating level of the water. The deeper you drop it, the least likely you will run into problems with the well drying up when water levels recede.
David from jax

/ jack of many, master of none.... #18  
I knew someone who had issues using copper because their water was too acid. Too much copper is not good for you.