JCB "Robot" skid steer durability ?

/ JCB "Robot" skid steer durability ? #11  
Look up "letsdig18" on youtube. Takkies are the toughtest skid I've ever witnessed.
Their excavators impress me as well.

/ JCB "Robot" skid steer durability ?
Dargo, whats the weight of both machines you speak of ?

A high tipload on a skid steer will result in lots of weight on the rear axle when empty, because skid steers usually have a very short wheelbase. So when digging, there is little downforce on the bucket edge. It might be handy for pallet works, but for digging you shouldnt go further than about a 45% front, 55% rear weight distribution (i'm speaking for articulated payloaders here, dont have experience with skid steers)
Where i work, we want loaders to pull 95 to 105% of their own weight.

/ JCB "Robot" skid steer durability ? #13  
It never fails to amaze me to see a rental unit with three or four hundred hours and gobs of slop in the pins just because customers won't grease the equipment.
Sorry to go off topic, but Harv, you don't really expect customers to grease rental units do you ?

/ JCB "Robot" skid steer durability ? #14  
Dargo, whats the weight of both machines you speak of ?

A high tipload on a skid steer will result in lots of weight on the rear axle when empty, because skid steers usually have a very short wheelbase. So when digging, there is little downforce on the bucket edge. It might be handy for pallet works, but for digging you shouldnt go further than about a 45% front, 55% rear weight distribution (i'm speaking for articulated payloaders here, dont have experience with skid steers)
Where i work, we want loaders to pull 95 to 105% of their own weight.

Both machines are right around 10k operating weight. You're right, the 'tip load' is all based on the balance of the machine. The Takeuchi has far stronger hydraulics and frame but isn't overly counter-weighted in the back.

Here is a comparison of their specs: http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=...02155140669466.pdf+Takeuchi+TL150&hl=en&gl=us

/ JCB "Robot" skid steer durability ? #15  
Look up "letsdig18" on youtube. Takkies are the toughtest skid I've ever witnessed.

Just to clarify things (I think): AFAIK, Tak doesn't make any skid steers (skid steers have wheels). They only make compact track loaders (CTLs).

Ken

/ JCB "Robot" skid steer durability ? #16  
Just to clarify things (I think): AFAIK, Tak doesn't make any skid steers (skid steers have wheels). They only make compact track loaders (CTLs).

Ken

Yes, they only make tracked compact loaders. They were the first to bring them to North America; back in 1969! They are also the company that first made compact excavators. I'd never heard of them until I started doing research into buying a CTL. I believe they set the standard in both compact excavators as well as CTLs. I was a Bobcat and Cat fan before I researched Takeuchi units. Heck, I even have a Bobcat compact excavator. It can't hold a candle to a similar Takeuchi unit.

*edit*
Takeuchi does make wheel loaders, but they are conventional wheel loaders and not skid steering machines.

Last edited:
   / JCB "Robot" skid steer durability ? #17  
Dargo,

Thanks for the history, I didn't know that. Now if I only knew how to pronounce "Takeuchi" :D

I couldn't find any Takeuchi dealers around here until just after I bought my skid steer. Then I started getting advertising flyers from a semi-local (nearest big city) outfit that handles them. But I really didn't want to go down the CTL route anyway even though they do look good.

Speaking of history, and the thread title, JCB claims that they invented the first backhoe.

Ken

Dargo,Thanks for the history, I didn't know that. Now if I only knew how to pronounce "Takeuchi" :D

It pronounces similar to the word "jacuzzi" ;)

Rumor is that Takeuchi is a guy that developed the compact equipment for Kubota, but later on started his own business to be Kubotas biggest native competitor...

Both machines are right around 10k operating weight. You're right, the 'tip load' is all based on the balance of the machine. The Takeuchi has far stronger hydraulics and frame but isn't overly counter-weighted in the back.

Here is a comparison of their specs: Powered by Google Docs

Our WG35 E model is in the weight class of the Volvo L90 (15.5 tons) but has 193 instead of 174 hp, and the rimpull and tilt breakout force of the Volvo L110 (18.5 ton class)

Indeed, balance, rimpull and hydraulic force makes a big deal of difference in loader performance, hp and weight dont say all that much.