JD 110 TLB Hydrostat Problems

/ JD 110 TLB Hydrostat Problems #1  

110TLB

Tractor
2009 John Deere 110 TLB
I have a 2009 model 110 TLB that I bought 6-7 years ago with just under 1000 hours on it from my local green JD dealer. The machine is my personal machine and currently has 1250 hours on it so it doesn't get much use. Since the day I bought it, I've had the same recurring issue while driving forward or reverse. The machine will randomly just stop moving as though I quickly removed my foot from the pedal even though I'm still on the pedal. It puts out a code for "Simultaneous command from Forward and Reverse" (-... or a long, short, short, short flash sequence) It happens randomly and may work for many hours without trouble or it may do it every 10 feet for hours on end. There's no pattern or common scenario when it happens. Totally random. And I'm 100% sure that I'm not pressing both pedals at once of course.

The selling dealer attempted to diagnose and fix the problem multiple times, each time thinking they fixed it by recalibrating the forward and reverse potentiometers. This went on for a few years and finally I just gave up on fixing it. However earlier this year I decided to try to fix it again and hired the commercial JD dealer from Oklahoma City (70 miles one way) to come down and give it a go. After three different trips from two different technicians, we ended up replacing both forward and reverse potentiometers as well as the throttle position potentiometer and calibrating them. We also put new bushings in the pedal quadrant to eliminate any flex or play that could have possibly been causing the other pedal to trigger the switch. Long story short, the problem was back with 1 hour of the last technician leaving. I notified them that they had not repaired it and they offered to send him back down down. I declined due to the expense I had already incurred and decided to let it ride a little longer while my wallet recovered.

Fast forward to this last weekend. The problem is still occurring so I shut off the machine in hopes it would go away as I have learned it sometimes does just by shutting it off and restarting it. The problem continued and added a new twist. Upon attempting to restart a third time, the key turns on and everything lights up like normal until I hit the starter and then nothing. Just like a dead battery except it is fully charged. This machine always starts in one turn and runs great which leads me to believe that two issues are related. I'm thinking the computer thinks a pedal is being pushed and therefore isn't letting the starter activate due to the same issue that is causing the drive issues.

I'm looking for suggestions and hopefully someone has seen this before and can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your help.

/ JD 110 TLB Hydrostat Problems #2  
I have a 2009 model 110 TLB that I bought 6-7 years ago with just under 1000 hours on it from my local green JD dealer. The machine is my personal machine and currently has 1250 hours on it so it doesn't get much use. Since the day I bought it, I've had the same recurring issue while driving forward or reverse. The machine will randomly just stop moving as though I quickly removed my foot from the pedal even though I'm still on the pedal. It puts out a code for "Simultaneous command from Forward and Reverse" (-... or a long, short, short, short flash sequence) It happens randomly and may work for many hours without trouble or it may do it every 10 feet for hours on end. There's no pattern or common scenario when it happens. Totally random. And I'm 100% sure that I'm not pressing both pedals at once of course.

The selling dealer attempted to diagnose and fix the problem multiple times, each time thinking they fixed it by recalibrating the forward and reverse potentiometers. This went on for a few years and finally I just gave up on fixing it. However earlier this year I decided to try to fix it again and hired the commercial JD dealer from Oklahoma City (70 miles one way) to come down and give it a go. After three different trips from two different technicians, we ended up replacing both forward and reverse potentiometers as well as the throttle position potentiometer and calibrating them. We also put new bushings in the pedal quadrant to eliminate any flex or play that could have possibly been causing the other pedal to trigger the switch. Long story short, the problem was back with 1 hour of the last technician leaving. I notified them that they had not repaired it and they offered to send him back down down. I declined due to the expense I had already incurred and decided to let it ride a little longer while my wallet recovered.

Fast forward to this last weekend. The problem is still occurring so I shut off the machine in hopes it would go away as I have learned it sometimes does just by shutting it off and restarting it. The problem continued and added a new twist. Upon attempting to restart a third time, the key turns on and everything lights up like normal until I hit the starter and then nothing. Just like a dead battery except it is fully charged. This machine always starts in one turn and runs great which leads me to believe that two issues are related. I'm thinking the computer thinks a pedal is being pushed and therefore isn't letting the starter activate due to the same issue that is causing the drive issues.

I'm looking for suggestions and hopefully someone has seen this before and can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your help.

That would be MAJOR frustration for me, as I am certain it must be for you.
Sorry.....I can't offer a suggestion.

/ JD 110 TLB Hydrostat Problems #3  
Except for the code it could be an intermittent seat switch or seat switch wiring problem. I would disconnect and jumper the seat switch wires and try it. If that didn't solve it I would figure out where the wires end and see if they can be jumped at the other end for testing.

I'm betting you are gonna be pissed when you finally get it solved.

From what you are saying I DON'T think it is in the forward reverse pots but if you wanted to check them yourself this is a thread I did on making connectors to do it with. Your 110 will probably have different voltage values than my 4310 does so use a manual for YOUR tractor.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ing/409098-built-ehydro-breakout-harness.html

What ever you do don't ever stick a fuse in the #12 slot. That wipes out the calibration and you would have to re calibrate to get it going again.

/ JD 110 TLB Hydrostat Problems #4  

I致e got a 2007 - 110TLB with ~2000 hrs. I致e never had the problem you致e described beyond a finicky seat presence switch that has nearly thrown me on the hood a couple times!

I have the technical repair manual with most (maybe all) the fault codes. If you could detail the codes, I might be able to shed some additional light on your issue. AKfish

/ JD 110 TLB Hydrostat Problems #5  
Is it possible that moisure has gotten into connectors that go to the pots? That could fool the circuit. Does the machine ever see salt?

Reason why I think long and hard before hiring "EXPERTS".

/ JD 110 TLB Hydrostat Problems
I've got a 2007 - 110TLB with ~2000 hrs. I've never had the problem you've described beyond a finicky seat presence switch that has nearly thrown me on the hood a couple times!

I have the technical repair manual with most (maybe all) the fault codes. If you could detail the codes, I might be able to shed some additional light on your issue. AKfish

Thanks AKFish. I've been on this forum since I bought this machine and I think I've read every post you've made about these machines. Thanks for your time.

The only fault code I'm getting is a -... or a long, short, short, short flash sequence. It's the one that the manual states is from pushing both pedals at the same time. No other symptoms or codes at all. I have the manual also and have studied it pretty well but that really hasn't given me any ideas past what we've already tried. To be honest, I'm leaning toward it being a faulty computer. I actually have a replacement computer from the same year model machine but going that route is a last resort due to having to reprogram it to my machine and needing service advisor to do so.

/ JD 110 TLB Hydrostat Problems #7  
I just re-read your original post. Is it still not starting? Have you checked all the cables and grounds?

I had to totally replace the cables on my backhoe this year. Wire corroded in the terminals and starter was dragging.

Is it possible that moisture has gotten into connectors that go to the pots? That could fool the circuit. Does the machine ever see salt?

Reason why I think long and hard before hiring "EXPERTS".

No salt around here but I also suspected that moisture could be causing the problem at one point early on. I took the connectors off and inspected them hoping to see they were wet. No signs of water but I sprayed them with WD40 and blew them out and put them back together. The problem didn't go away. I still suspected water might be part of the problem for quite a while but it will happen in the heat of the summer when it hasn't rained for a month.

I just re-read your original post. Is it still not starting? Have you checked all the cables and grounds?

I had to totally replace the cables on my backhoe this year. Wire corroded in the terminals and starter was dragging.

It isn't starting but I haven't had time to really work on it since my original post. I did get on it a few weeks ago and try to start it again with no luck. However I do think I heard the starter solenoid clicking and if that's the case then the starter issue might just be a coincidence. I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to work on it and at least fix the starter.

So I came home early today to get a few hours to work on the machine. It still won't start but I determined that the starter is fine by jumping from the hot terminal. It just isn't getting the signal to start.

Here's the twist. It is now throwing a --.. code which is for the reverse potentiometer. TractorGuy, I just made one of your breakout harnesses to test the voltages on the pots. Thanks for sharing that idea. It will be very helpful.