Backhoe JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking #1  

dakotadrifters

Tractor
John Deere 110
My 110TLB front wheel drive shaft is leaking at the rear end. i.e. at the transfer case end. Didn't want to try and take the seal out thinking I might screw it up so consulted with JD mechanic who says the machine must be split apart to replace it. Can that be true?? I notice way back a couple of years ago there was a post on the subject but no resolution. Would appreciate it if anyone has had experience with this?

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking #2  
Put up a link to that "post " and maybe it will ring a bell.

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking #3  
I don't have a real good mental picture of what you're doing but an automobile transmission seal can be replaced without removing the transmission. You simply drop the drive shaft out of the transmission then remove the seal. Drive in a new seal and replace the drive shaft. Over time the constant wear of the seal on the yoke will groove the yoke but there used to be thin sleeves to drive over the yoke so it would again seal.

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking
I don't have a real good mental picture of what you're doing but an automobile transmission seal can be replaced without removing the transmission. You simply drop the drive shaft out of the transmission then remove the seal. Drive in a new seal and replace the drive shaft. Over time the constant wear of the seal on the yoke will groove the yoke but there used to be thin sleeves to drive over the yoke so it would again seal.

Yes, I know. I have replaced many seals and know the process. However, from the illustrated parts list, it appears this seal comes in from the back. It is not clear that there may be a ridge on the clutch housing case that won't allow this to be replaced from the outside. Normally one can punch the seal and remove it and replace another. Don't want to try that and screw it up if JD is correct. Tractor engineers seem to be a different breed, forgetting or not caring about maintenance. One big Ag machine in the JD shop has one computer mounted on top the transmission with no access to it. They have to remove the entire cab and structure to get at it. Now that makes no sense either. Keep plugging on. Thanks for the reply.

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking
Unfortunately I can't seem to locate it. It was some time ago, so I thought I would start a new discussion. This has to be a common problem. All seals leak at some time.