Backhoe JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking #1  

dakotadrifters

Tractor
John Deere 110
My front wheel drive shaft is leaking at the rear end. i.e. back by the transfer case. Did not want to tackle it as I don't have sufficient drawings to determine if it can be replaced easily or not, so I consulted a JD mechanic that said the case has to be split apart to replace that seal. That seems hard to believe. Has anyone had experience with this problem?

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking #2  
Looking in JDparts that is correct. The seal is key 1

Attachments

• 110frontseal.PNG
    110frontseal.PNG
    375.8 KB · Views: 77
   / JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking
OK. Here's the deal. I posted this problem because I have a number of mechanics tell me different things and I wasn't about to screw it up myself. Yes, the parts diagrams seem to show this seal coming in from the back, but that makes no sense, thus the confusion. We all know cases where these machines are sometimes put together in a way that don't seem to make sense from a maintenance standpoint. So...I trucked the machine 120 miles to my most trusty JD shop, (btw it was under warranty from another job), and we determined that we could in fact pull that seal from the front and install another. It's back in there a ways, but can be done. Case closed.

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking #4  
we determined that we could in fact pull that seal from the front and install another.

Assume when you say "case closed" that the new seal is in now, and the leak has stopped.

Good information to have posted in TBN, for future questions. tks for following up on that.

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking
Yep. No leaks at this time. Hope it holds for sometime. I hate those leaks.

/ JD 110TLB front wheel drive shaft leaking #6  
Thanks for the update.