JD 110TLB Starting After 5 Years

/ JD 110TLB Starting After 5 Years #11  
I would have a few fuel filters on hand to be safe. water and or Allgie in the fuel could give you some headaches. I'd also bring some antifreeze with me to be safe. I recently fired up my jd710c after sitting about 10 years. I had a bad starter when it was parked. so new batteries, starter, alternator had also died after starting. hooked up the batteries, and new starter . it didn't even make a full rotation, and it was running 😁.

/ JD 110TLB Starting After 5 Years
I’m actually here now visiting my tractor but I don’t have time on this trip to nurture it. I noticed some rust pits developing on one of the rods. Later today I will look into what is needed for draining.
The farmer who is storing it said some additive to the fuel tank will prevent water from accumulating. Does anyone know about this?

/ JD 110TLB Starting After 5 Years #13  
well some of those contain alcohol to absorb the water. but in reality if it were me I'd drain the tank , and put new fuel in. if there is no Allgie or water I'd put it in the container you used for the new fuel and use it at a later date.

/ JD 110TLB Starting After 5 Years #14  
Water in the fuel is responsible for most diesel problems when they sit for too long. Usually it comes from condensation - water is more dense, so it sits under the diesel and that makes it the first thing pulled into the filter. Can also grown slime...

Worst of all is trying to crank one with water in the fuel and it doesn't start so a guy leaves it for another year. All the cranking did was move water into the injector pump, injectors, and cylinders where it corrodes all those things. Next year the repair bill is staggering - and it was all not necessary,

Diesel mechanics don't have the problem because they are way too experienced to ever crank a diesel that has been sitting a few years without first draining the fuel, line, clean the fllter container and replacing the filter - then bleed at the injectors. And that is at a minimum. Any evidence of water while doing those things means stop right there and disassemble to clean up the fuel sysem BEFORE attempting to crank it over.

Yes, the additives help. Biocide against slime, and alcohol against water. But those are stopgaps for short term storage under a couple of years so that you don't have to go farther and take it all apart and clean it all up before cranking.
Even with the biocide and alcohol additives in the tank You still have to drain the old fuel & additives, clean the lines, replace the filter and bleed the system before cranking.

Just do it. Sounds to me like that old farmer knows all this... any mechanic does too.
rScotty

Back home in Michigan now.

Well it looks it would be prudent to be diligent about ensuring fresh clean fuel at start-up. Having issues 300 miles away from home in a rural area would be inconvenient. This especially when trying to make progress on a new shop and home.Thanks to all for helping me stay on track.

/ JD 110TLB Starting After 5 Years #16  
Never use alcohol in fuel for a diesel engine as it will/could damage the injector pump. The best option is to drain all the fuel….tank/filter/lines, add fresh fuel and bleed until the new fuel comes out.

An update:
I did not see any water in the tank when I opened the drain valve at the bottom. I also checked the fuel bowl and filter, no water there either. I considered trying to start it after these checks but I followed through with a nearly complete system drain.

I had left the fuel tank completely full when I parked it five years ago. I suspect the small amount of air left in the tank had much to do with the absence of water. The tractor is running great again.

Thanks again for all the input here fellows!

/ JD 110TLB Starting After 5 Years #18  
An update:
I did not see any water in the tank when I opened the drain valve at the bottom. I also checked the fuel bowl and filter, no water there either. I considered trying to start it after these checks but I followed through with a nearly complete system drain.

I had left the fuel tank completely full when I parked it five years ago. I suspect the small amount of air left in the tank had much to do with the absence of water. The tractor is running great again.

Thanks again for all the input here fellows!
Great to hear! Congrats!