Mowing JD 175

/ JD 175 #1  

Jerry Hotdog

Tractor
Mahindra 3525
I hope this is the correct forum for my question...

Here it is:
I was given an old John Deere hydro 175 riding lawn mower. I used it all last summer and it worked great. After sitting up (covered) for the winter it started right up and off I went until I flipped the PTO switch to engage the blades. It cuts power to the engine. It does not bind! All pulleys and blades turn fine. I took the deck off and when engaging the PTO it still cuts power to motor. I bought and replaced the PTO clutch assembly with new JD part. Still, when I flip the switch it kills the motor. Tested the switch with meter and it appears to function fine (ohm opens & closes)

There must be something grounded or whatever. I am NOT electrically inclined at all.

The switch also connects to other wires (???) could it still be the switch or is it something else?
Please, please someone help. My grass is knee deep now.
Thank you friends

/ JD 175 #2  
I think you have a safety switch on the seat of the tractor. This switch "tells" the tractor if you are sitting on the machine or not. On most tractors, if you get off the tractor with the PTO engaged, the engine will shut down. If that switch is bad on your tractor, when you engage the PTO the tractor will think no one is sitting on it and the engine will stop.

/ JD 175
OK, I'll check that out.
Are ther any other safety switches location in other areas?

/ JD 175 #4  
You should also have a safety switch on the brake pedal.
I used to have a JD 175 and if I remember, you had to step on the brake when you started it.