JD 2015 5085M

/ JD 2015 5085M #1  

desert sodbuster

Tractor
JD 5085M
I just purchased a 1250 hour 5085M. Unsure how to get records of this particular tractor in terms of maintenance or repairs. Also any suggestions on what baseline maintenance I should do prior to any heavy use? My needs are not very intensive for this tractor, but want to start right
--desert sodbuster

/ JD 2015 5085M #2  
Who did you buy the tractor from? Private sale, a non-JD Dealership or a JD Dealership?

I'm afraid that you're going to have to get a new Owner Manual if the original didn't come with the tractor. Dealerships in the US will throw out a previous owner's Owner Manual due to owner details recorded and possible incorrect 'notes'.

The Owner Manual will have all of the basic maintenance procedures and schedules. It will include torque for the wheel lugs.

Right now I'd check all fluid levels, grease every nipple (zerk) that you can see/find, spray lubricate (lanolin based) everything that moves but doesn't have a nipple and tighten every bolt/nut. Even if the tractor came from a dealership... trust but verify.

/ JD 2015 5085M
I bought the tractor at auction, hoping the owners manual comes with the tractor. Per the auctioneer, all is working properly--but most likely if the previous owner knew he was going sell, didn't spend money on scheduled maintenance etc.

/ JD 2015 5085M #4  
Option 1, just change out all fluids and filters as you have absolutely no idea when it was done.
also you could pull samples of the fluids and send them out for analysis to have a baseline numbers for comparisons.

Option 2, warm up the unit, pull samples and have them sent out to be analyzed and wait for the results before changing fluids.

If it was mine I'd be changing all filters and fluids.

/ JD 2015 5085M #5  
Welcome to TBN.

Congrats on the purchase. Those are a fine tractor!

I agree with Lou.

You should be able to take the S/N to your local JD dealer and they can check the history in regards to any warranty work and/or recalls.

/ JD 2015 5085M
thanks for the advice. I will change all fluids and filters and followup on the serial number at JD dealership.
When you send oil samples out---where do you send them for analysis?

/ JD 2015 5085M #7  
Look at the filters, factory installed are often painted when the tractor is painted (the hydraulic filter on my 6415 was JF green, the new one black) or un marked.

If any work was done by a JD dealer a serial number search will reveal.

I would do the fluid/filter changes and the 1500 hour service per the owners manual.