jd 214 engine stops when mower clicks in

/ jd 214 engine stops when mower clicks in #1  

jd214

Tractor
2-214-JOHN DEERE
my 1983 214 the engine stalls soon as i hit the electric clutch switch, disconnected wiries to clutch, still stalls engine. sometiime it backfires, and black smoke, tried another switch still does it, help???/

/ jd 214 engine stops when mower clicks in #2  
Check and or bypass your seat switch. If you try to turn on the pto and aren't in the seat it'll kill the engine. Sounds like your seat safety switch is bad or you've figured out how to defy gravity.:D

M.D.

Last edited:
   / jd 214 engine stops when mower clicks in
thanks md but i have already disconnected seat switch.im wondering if it has enough power to turn mower on, im going to put new points and cond in this am, points looked kinda burned.???? yesterday it would not even kick in, i shopok some wires under seat and it worked but still stalled engine.

/ jd 214 engine stops when mower clicks in #4  
Sounds like time for some engine work. I'd start with new plug, and then a compression check.
I'm guessing that "shopok" means "shook". If so, I don't understand "it worked but still stalled the engine" explanation. If it still stalled the engine, seems it didn't solve the problem.
Need a bit more information of the history, what you feel you can do, and where we can help. I didn't think the '83 214 had a seat switch. :)

yes means shook, sorry, i just installed a new set of points, just started it, fine, but will try mower after lunch, im 72 but still growing, thnx again, , will let you know.

md , im back again, just went out and tried mower, same thing soon as i flick the switch engine will die, i also noticed, if i just put the switch on partialy , kills the engine before the blades even turn??? im stuck check wires under seat they are disconnected. plug is new.

/ jd 214 engine stops when mower clicks in #7  
Well apparently it is not shorting to ground, or you would blow a fuse (if there is fuse protection).

Decide if this is drawing so much hp from the engine that the engine dies from overload (engine weak, or something caught in the clutch or the mower deck..but assume you know the deck runs free already).
Or the electric clutch is hanging up ..mechanical or electrical problem.

hi beenthere, i have disconnected wires from electric clutch, so there is no power to clutch, but same thing happens, soon as i flick the mower switch,engine dies, could it be a dead short? or that mower switch?

/ jd 214 engine stops when mower clicks in #9  
When you disconnect the seat switch don't you have to put a jumper wireon the connector to maintain the circut? It sounds like you just pulled it apart and nothing else, is that what you did?

no, the seat switch was already disconnected when i bought tractor.