JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser

/ JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser #1  

GFF

Tractor
JD 2240 MF 1085
I have a JD 2240 that one day I went to start it started to shoot oil out from underneath the plate that covers shifters. When I removed the plate and cranked it over a few times oil is coming out of what looks like a small breather hole between the 2 shifters. There were no signs of anything leaking when I parked it before this occurred. Anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing this ... One guy I spoke to locally suggested replacing filters. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser #2  
Does your tractor have hyd ind pto(lever between gear shift levers)&/or hyd hi-lo(rabbit/turtle on LH side of dash)? If so there's probably a blown o-ring that is intended to seal those options supply tubes.

/ JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser
Yes it has ind pto and the hi/lo on left of dash. Where do I find this o rings? Remove shifters/top of tranny? Thanks for the help.

/ JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser #4  
You'll have to raise trans shifter cover.Parts listed are available from a JD dealer.
A3917R O-Ring - O-RING, PACKING ADD 1.06 USD 2.12 USD
R375R O-Ring - PACKING,O RING ADD 1.12 USD 2.24 USD
R54189 Gasket - GASKET,CLUTCH HOUSING COVER ADD 5.90 USD

*Subtotal 10.26 USD
*Total 10.26 USD

Attachments

• RXP7970________UN01JAN94.gif
    RXP7970________UN01JAN94.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 360
   / JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser
Thanks for all your help! Definitely worth a shot for $10 in parts. Any tips for removing and more importantly reinstalling trans shifter cover?

/ JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser #6  
Thanks for all your help! Definitely worth a shot for $10 in parts. Any tips for removing and more importantly reinstalling trans shifter cover?

Disconnect vent tube on right forward side of shifter cover.

The HI-LO will have a rod connected to a lever on the left side. There is a snap or E ring holding the shaft in the lever (might want to buy a spare E ring) Disconnect HI-LO rod from the lever

The shifter cover is held on with 7 bolts, 4 across the front and 3 across the back. In the front the bolts also hold the Independent PTO lever/valve operator to the shifter cover (might want to get that gasket too). Some bolts are different lengths, mark or remember which go where.

Put both shift levers in neutral. Remove the shifter cover.

On the bottom will be a metal plate. No need to remove it. In the plate will be the O-rings. The tube holes will have grooves in them for the O-rings. Replace them all. Lubricate them with hydraulic oil before installing.

Lubricate all the tube ends with hydraulic oil. Reassemble.

Attachments

• 2240hilo.gif
    2240hilo.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 399
  • 2240IPTO.gif
    2240IPTO.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 656
  • 2240shiftcover.gif
    2240shiftcover.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 661
   / JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser #7  
Need extra help. Replaced all o-rings & gaskets. Still shooting out oil the minute it cranks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
View attachment Leak.pdf

/ JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser #8  
Need extra help. Replaced all o-rings & gaskets. Still shooting out oil the minute it cranks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
View attachment 555569
Just came across your post, had the exact same thing happen to me on my 2240 today in the same weep hole or whatever that small hole is. Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I know it was a post for a few years ago, but thought I'd ask. Much appreciated. Collin

/ JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser #9  
perhaps the plate (15) below the cover is cracked. it would explain why the new o-rings didn't fix the OP's problem.

/ JD 2240 leaking hydraulic oil geyser #10  
Yes it has ind pto and the hi/lo on left of dash. Where do I find this o rings? Remove shifters/top of tranny? Thanks for the help.
Sir be careful removing things around the shifters, until you have a good idea what is there. Just a caution sir