jD 2240 with busted differential lock?

/ jD 2240 with busted differential lock? #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
Was looking at a real clean, straight iron, 2240 with a JD 143 loader. Around 1,800 hrs. But needed all new rubber. The diff pedal was propped up with a chunk of 2x4 and as such ,likely no longer functioned.

Figured it would need to be split for R and R.

What do you suppose would be the "worst case scenario" regarding cost, etc.

Thanks in advance.

/ jD 2240 with busted differential lock? #2  
Most diff lock assemblies are held in the unlocked position by an internal coil spring. If that spring is broken then the weight of the pedal would keep the diff lock engaged all the time, which isn't a good thing. My guess is it works fine, just nothing keeping it from locking all the time.

Again, in most cases, this repair would require the tractor to be split. Or maybe the right side axle housing removed for access if the diff lock pedal shaft goes thru that case to enter the housing. I can't tell you from this vantage point.

Maybe do a "parts" search on deere.com and try to find a parts diagram for that section of that tractor???

/ jD 2240 with busted differential lock? #3  
Not sure of the model number, so I might have the wrong picture here. This is a parts diagram for the diff lock pedal assembly. Part #4 is the spring that would hold the diff lock in the unlocked position. It's not a coil spring but rather a twist spring. As you can see, if the spring is broken the weight of the pedal is going to engage the lock all the time.

A minute or two on the tractor moving it around will confirm this.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

/ jD 2240 with busted differential lock? #4  
Diff lock on this tractor is operated I believe by locking the Left Hand final drive shaft to the differential housing. The final drive shaft and even the LH housing side can be bought through aftermarket channels like a&i. Like $150 (a-t28908) for shaft, $415 (a-r51500) for diff housing but I think the problem part is the shift sleeve itself (r51501, it is not available through Deere but can be bought from aged inventory re-sellers like the parts depot, normally a dealer will have to get you the price). That would be a couple of thoughts on the worst case side assuming the final drive and/or diff itself is still just fine. Best case scenario would be the torsion spring, hope you have that kind of luck... I don't.

/ jD 2240 with busted differential lock? #5  
Yeah, I rarely don't either. Again, a couple minutes on the tractor would tell you a lot about the problem. If the diff lock engages and holds both tires in sync when the block is removed it's the spring. If you can't make the diff lock engage then it gets complicated and messy.

/ jD 2240 with busted differential lock?
Yeah, I rarely don't either. Again, a couple minutes on the tractor would tell you a lot about the problem. If the diff lock engages and holds both tires in sync when the block is removed it's the spring. If you can't make the diff lock engage then it gets complicated and messy.

Roger that. They were disinclined to let me drive it. Estate... Son says Dad always kept on top of anything wrong. But, the old, dry rot tires got me wonderin'.

Diff lock on this tractor is operated I believe by locking the Left Hand final drive shaft to the differential housing. The final drive shaft and even the LH housing side can be bought through aftermarket channels like a&i. Like $150 (a-t28908) for shaft, $415 (a-r51500) for diff housing but I think the problem part is the shift sleeve itself (r51501, it is not available through Deere but can be bought from aged inventory re-sellers like the parts depot, normally a dealer will have to get you the price). That would be a couple of thoughts on the worst case side assuming the final drive and/or diff itself is still just fine. Best case scenario would be the torsion spring, hope you have that kind of luck... I don't.

Appreciate the info. Thanks.

Not sure of the model number, so I might have the wrong picture here. This is a parts diagram for the diff lock pedal assembly. Part #4 is the spring that would hold the diff lock in the unlocked position. It's not a coil spring but rather a twist spring. As you can see, if the spring is broken the weight of the pedal is going to engage the lock all the time.

A minute or two on the tractor moving it around will confirm this.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

I rooted around on JDParts but could not find what the actual locking mechanism looked like; i.e. pins that engage the differential, etc.

The linkage was pretty straightforward. The detail of the differential, not.

/ jD 2240 with busted differential lock? #9  
or to prevent it from engaging ....nice place to load chains and stuff you know ?

/ jD 2240 with busted differential lock? #10  
Roger that. They were disinclined to let me drive it. Estate... Son says Dad always kept on top of anything wrong. But, the old, dry rot tires got me wonderin'.

I picked up my Kubota from an estate, the father passed from cancer. When we went and looked at the tractor, it looked dull, faded and dirty. Talking to the daughter and son who were selling the estate, Dad was a drag racer, a machinist and took exceptional care of all things mechanical and was very prompt with maintenance. At 92 hours, we bought it and hauled it home. Next morning I called the original selling Kubota dealer and asked if they knew about any maintenance over the last 4 years. The owner told me that so far as he knows, the tractor was never serviced, no filters or fluids were sold to him, and it likely was ignored at the 50 hour point. He instructed me to look at the filters to verify, that the factory filters would be sprayed dark grey while the parts were painted at the factory while replacements would be bright white. Yep, all dark grey. So we drove up and spent $320 on all fluids and all filters and at 92 hours did way more than the 50 required... The bottom line, good old Dad was not the maintenance freak that they perceived him to be. So consider that.