JD 2305 3ph falling apart??

/ JD 2305 3ph falling apart?? #1  

D33r3 6r33N

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305, Scag 19hp 48" Tiger Cub
I found the washer in the pictures on the pull behind hitch before I hooked up the tiller this afternoon, I found out where it came from when the upper right pin in the 3ph fell out when I was almost done tilling the garden.
My question is could it be something that I am doing to chew that washer up like that? I just put the 91st hour on it this afternoon. Looks like that the washer and the cotter pin did battle until the cotter pin lost? I did a quick check of the others and they don't anything like that. I used a pin that I had in the cupholder, (anyone use them for there intended use?) for the quick repair.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110522_231009.png
    ForumRunner_20110522_231009.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 202
  • ForumRunner_20110522_231043.png
    ForumRunner_20110522_231043.png
    485.2 KB · Views: 276
  • ForumRunner_20110522_231026.png
    ForumRunner_20110522_231026.png
    395.6 KB · Views: 187
   / JD 2305 3ph falling apart?? #2  
Where did the washer come from? My upper right pin doesn't look like that - it has a "D" head and a linch pin - it has a much lower profile and doesn't stick out nearly as far to either side. I also don't have a washer that size involved.

/ JD 2305 3ph falling apart?? #3  
Agree with question of North Country.
Don't understand why the washer was there in the first place?

Any more info on the history?

/ JD 2305 3ph falling apart?? #4  
Where did the washer come from? My upper right pin doesn't look like that - it has a "D" head and a linch pin - it has a much lower profile and doesn't stick out nearly as far to either side. I also don't have a washer that size involved.
The pin in the picture was in his cupholder and he used it for a quick fix.

/ JD 2305 3ph falling apart?? #5  
I got the impression that the L-pin was already installed and the linch pin replaced the missing cotter pin. it still doesn't explain the source of the washer.

It looks like rotary damage to the washer - something was spinning next to it, or it was spinning next to something.

/ JD 2305 3ph falling apart?? #6  
I found the washer in the pictures on the pull behind hitch before I hooked up the tiller this afternoon, I found out where it came from when the upper right pin in the 3ph fell out when I was almost done tilling the garden.
My question is could it be something that I am doing to chew that washer up like that? I just put the 91st hour on it this afternoon. Looks like that the washer and the cotter pin did battle until the cotter pin lost? I did a quick check of the others and they don't anything like that. I used a pin that I had in the cupholder, (anyone use them for there intended use?) for the quick repair.

Just my thoughts. It appears to me that the lifting link/adjusting/ rod needs to be turned 90 degrees in photo number 2. I would remove the pins, rotate the attaching part ninety degrees and see if the geometry improved.It appears the way the rod is currently attached stress is occuring as the three points goes up and down.

/ JD 2305 3ph falling apart?? #7  
Here's my guess: the L-pin you're using is too long. The washer was between the cotter pin and the lift arm link. Each time you raised and lowered the 3ph, it scraped on the PTO shield and produced 1 gouge in the washer. The washer naturally rattled and turned in between each time it was raised and lowered, thus the radial pattern of scratches. Eventually the cotter pin got beat up so much it failed.

Get the correct length (shorter) D-head pin from your dealer. It should fix the problem. Here are two photos of my setup.

The lift arm link can't be turned 90 or 180 degrees - that is the correct orientation.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    615.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    622.5 KB · Views: 176
   / JD 2305 3ph falling apart??
This is what the other side looks like with the OEM parts. The D pin you can hardly tell in the picture but looks like to me that the "D" and the stopper welded there are not working as planned. I can see where the supposed to be flat side is not flat as they have been beating around on each other, so it is almost a round pin.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110523_120705.png
    ForumRunner_20110523_120705.png
    337.1 KB · Views: 159
  • ForumRunner_20110523_120724.png
    ForumRunner_20110523_120724.png
    324.5 KB · Views: 158
   / JD 2305 3ph falling apart?? #9  
I'm not sure how critical is is to have the flat of the D if you're using cotter pins and not linch pins. In any case, as long as it doesn't rotate you're fine - it doesn't get a lot of rotational stress. Did the other side have the "D before it fell out or was it the "L" we see in the pictures?

I use linch pins because the 3ph arms go on and off often to get the backhoe on & off. If I didn't have a backhoe I'd use cotter pins.

/ JD 2305 3ph falling apart??
The both sides were the same until it broke.