Snow Jd 2320

/ Jd 2320 #11  
Sven
Momentum is your friend. I have loaded R4s and find they do pretty well as long as I keep the momentum up. I can push snow for more than one hundred feet before I have so much snow piled up in front I lose momentum and have to move it to the side to dump. Of course on ice it is much less. When I push a lot of snow and the tires are on ice the rear of the tractor really wants to go sideways. My driveway goes up a gentle hill and while I can tell it is there the tractor keeps on going. Usually I have a rear blade on but sometimes if it is near freezing a rake works better to bring some of my gravel to the surface. Good luck during the storm, it sounds like a doozy.

/ Jd 2320 #12  
What type of tires? Turf or industial? I've heard the latter is useless in snow and I know from experience the turfs aren't much use in snow. Filled tires should be enough weight for snow. Chains would boost traction more than weight.
i think you may have accidently worded this wrong. Industrials have no traction in snow. Turfs are superior. Industrials have no grip whatsoever. I suppose if you ran around in 12 inches of snow with the blade in the air they would be superior but once you put the blade down and remove the snow and are stuck with a thin film ofsnow, you lose all traction like drag racing slicks in the rain. at that point turfs reign supreme

/ Jd 2320 #13  
i think you may have accidently worded this wrong. Industrials have no traction in snow. Turfs are superior. Industrials have no grip whatsoever. I suppose if you ran around in 12 inches of snow with the blade in the air they would be superior but once you put the blade down and remove the snow and are stuck with a thin film ofsnow, you lose all traction like drag racing slicks in the rain. at that point turfs reign supreme

I though he had it right, but then again I'm french. :confused3:

/ Jd 2320 #14  
Saying R4's have no traction in snow is not correct either. I agree that Turfs are a better choice, but I have R4's that are not loaded and have a very steep driveway and manage just fine. If they had no traction, I would not be able to deal with my 800 ft long very steep driveway. Would I prefer turfs? Yes! But I don't have turfs and it is not bad enough for me to go and spend the $1K or so on getting them. Maybe when I start mowing this will change....

On ice, the R4's have very little traction but to be honest the only tire that will be good on ice is a tire with a chain on it...

/ Jd 2320 #15  
I agree with Mac as my driveway is about 1000 feet and most of it uphill and managed just fine pushing 8" of snow with my FEL using the R4's. Apparently there are some folks on here that have very little experiance and making big claims.

/ Jd 2320 #16  
Well, we'be all chimed in, and the storm has come and gone. How did it go for you, Sven?

/ Jd 2320 #17  
I agree with Mac as my driveway is about 1000 feet and most of it uphill and managed just fine pushing 8" of snow with my FEL using the R4's. Apparently there are some folks on here that have very little experiance and making big claims.
. your right, i dont know what im talking about becuase it doesnt snow upstate new york. Sorry I hurt your feelings about your r4 tire

/ Jd 2320 #18  

I have both turf and R4s. Sorry but turfs seem much much better to me in snow. I would change over if it wasn't for the fear of having the opposite problem tilling in the summer. I spend way more time tilling then I do snow blowing. I have about 600hr total recent operating time to make that claim.

/ Jd 2320 #19  
I have a 2720 with R4. I just went though the 2013 Blizzard in CT. Where I live on top of a hill. I got over 4 feet of snow and drifts over 7 feet high. The R4 in 4wd worked fine. I have a ballst box onthe rear with 350lbs. Just enought to conter the weight of the 54' blower. I had one issue on Sunday when I went to far in bottwm of a 6 foot pack snow bank that the street plow left infront of a driveway. The bank fell between the tractor and blower. I tried to back up but the weight of the snow burying the front was to much. I was also on a layer of ice. Dug out the snow between the blower and the tractor and it backed out without any issues. I was a little more careful after that. I do have chains, but in 3 years i have never had to use them.

/ Jd 2320 #20  
PICT0373.JPG
Here is a picture of my 2720. I working on making the cab myself. The front, roof and back are done. still working one the doors. The roof, front and back come off is less then 5 minutes.
Nice not to have the snow flying in my face. In this pic I finished my driveway and the tractor is in the street which had not been cleared yet.