Mowing JD 261 Grooming Mower

/ JD 261 Grooming Mower #1  

MikeSimpson

I just got a used JD Model 261 Grooming mower (5ft) for $375.

It works pretty good had have one of the rear wheels fixed Cost ($14)

My question is this Even though it works realy well it cuts a bit low. I see some sort of spacers on the rear wheels that let you rais and lower the wheels. Right now they are at the hightest pos (Lowest deck). I could lower them a inch or two but how does that affect the front of the mower.

As you can tell this is my first finish mower and I dont have a manual.

I also noticed there are some chains that for now I have tied back and out of the way.

Anyone got any advise on this?

/ JD 261 Grooming Mower #2  
Well the chains might be for safety, if there are enough to make a 'shield' - that's called a chain guard and is a safety feature to protect from objects flying.

Give the wheels a nudge down and see if that helps the cutting height, but it might be uneven if there are only two wheels. You could also get two more wheels and weld them on the front to make it even. Ole trial 'n error.

Hope this helps,

msig.gif

/ JD 261 Grooming Mower #3  
Let me add to that, give those a good spray fo WD-40 before you pinch your fingers trying to get them moved. Also, I thought for a second, four wheels might be needed for a really even cut - but the two that are there should be ok, just try it out.

msig.gif

/ JD 261 Grooming Mower #4  
The cutting height on this mower is determined by: (1) the depth stop on the 3 point hitch lever, and (2) the adjustable washers on the 2 rear wheels that you have identified. You want the front of the deck to be slightly lower than the rear (1/8-1/4 inch). JD also makes a kit that provides two additional front gauge wheels. The chains you refer to that have beem tied up may be "check chains" that the previous owner rigged up to limit how far down the 3 point arms can drop. On a tractor without position control 3 point hitch, you need a means of dropping the deck to the same cutting height each time and holding it there against leakdown. Check chains are usually attached to the top link pin on the tractor. The chains then connect to the lower link pins. Usually some kind of tab is provided so you can select the proper length of the chains to set the front cutting height.