JD 2630 oil leak above brake pedals

/ JD 2630 oil leak above brake pedals #1  

Zedster

Tractor
JD 2630
I have scoured the service manual and cannot find the purpose or function of this cover. Right side of tunnel just above the brake pedals. Oil weeps from the bottom when it is running and I would like to re-gasket it, but am a bit shy about loosening anything until I know what's going behind it. No hydraulic problems, everything works right, just this dang cover leaking enough to need attention. I did check to make sure all the bolts are tight.
Any help would certainly be appreciated. Again, it's a '75 JD2630 with a 145 loader. Thank-you! Jim in Iowa

Attachments

• 20231011_165220.jpg
    20231011_165220.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 44
   / JD 2630 oil leak above brake pedals #2  
It's just a gasket. No surprises back there. That's a cover for access to some of the power steering mechanism. Removing the cover and replacing the gasket will do you no harm.

/ JD 2630 oil leak above brake pedals
Hi Harry, do I need to drain any oil before removing it? Thanks for the quick reply! Jim

/ JD 2630 oil leak above brake pedals #4  
No. Oil level is down lower than that. You won't loose any fluid.

Outstanding. Thanks again!

Yep. Ordered the gasket yesterday from the local greenhouse. About 5 bucks.
Not knowing what to expect for residual oil, I stuck a pan under belly and recovered about a pint and a half.(machine hadn't been run for a few days)
Like I said before, this detail was absent, at least in the shop manual that I have, so should someone run into it down the road, here ya go.
Thanks KY Harry and TX Jim for the assist.
Jim, near Exline, IA.

Attachments

• DSC02168.JPG
    DSC02168.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC02169.JPG
    DSC02169.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 42
   / JD 2630 oil leak above brake pedals #8  
You're welcome