JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...???

/ JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...??? #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
Have a 90's model JD 270 skid steer...not getting any fuel out of the injector pump...positive fuel pressure going in but nothing out (cracked open the lines)...the solenoid clicks but may not be opening??? anyone have experience with similar problems?

/ JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...??? #2  
Check the INLET fuel GOOD.. the last one I worked on had the screen clogged in the tank..
I just loosened the clamps holding the line on the tank & pulled.. just a dribble of fuel came out..
I back blew the line & it gush's now.. I loosened the inlet line at the inj. pump, used the hand primer to get the fuel THERE..
I loosened ALL the lines AT THE INJECTORS & cranked it over until fuel squirted out..
I tightened the lines & cranked some more.. she roared to life..
ALL this was done after I took off the top cover to MAKE SURE the metering valve wasn't stuck & there was no contamination inside the pump.
BUT, the top cover bolts were "tamperproof" 5 sided torx w/ a nub in the middle..
I have the tool..

/ JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...??? #3  
Check to be sure check ball in fitting encircled in blue isn't clogged & that fuel return line from IP to tank is not clogged. If check ball is clogged then more than likely fiber drive ring in inj pump is deteriorating requiring IP repair. After cleaning check ball engine may operate for an extended period of time but is subject to exceed normal rpm's IE run away.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    70 KB · Views: 356
   / JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...??? #4  
Do you see the electrical pigtail coming off the bottom of the inj. pump??
Follow it up to the coolant sensor on the thermo neck.. UN PLUG IT..
THEN, do the fuel flow check.. REMOVE the fitting off the top of the pump COMPLETELY.. not just the line, but the entire fitting..9/16 wrench.
The fitting should have an oring on it, if you found the right one..
NOW prime the system & try cranking it..
Its gonna be full of air so have some jumper cables handy..
The fuel is gonna run out of the top of the pump, so be prepared for THAT..[pan or bucket]
Once you get it running, screw the fitting back in, WHILE ITS RUNNING.. if it stays running> GOOD..
IF not, clean the fitting w/ compressed air & do it again..
IF it keeps shutting off when you put the fitting in.. you have an internal pump problem.. "flex ring" more than likely..
There are a MILLION threads on replacing a flex ring.. DONT TRY IT.. YOUR PUMP isn't like the rest of them..

/ JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...???
Thanks for the replies and insights...

The only wire visible is the hot wire for the solenoid on the top of the IP...(the ground is just a bolted clip to the pump body)

Could not find 5 point torx security bits locally so am likely going to have to order a set online (today)...

@ pumpguys..."the fitting on top"...do you mean the return line?

/ JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...??? #6  
Yes, the return line AND FITTING.. fitting removal is very important..
A clogged fitting will shut one down and/or keep one from running.. so remove the fitting for diagnosis..
Are you SURE about the elecr. connection at the bottom of the pump??
It should almost be, directly under where the steel lines hook up to the pump.. & the lines run behind the pump & connect to the sensor for the thermostat..
If not, don't worry about it..
Just make sure to remove the return FITTING.. NOT JUST the line.

/ JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...??? #7  
Thanks for the replies and insights...

@ pumpguys..."the fitting on top"...do you mean the return line?

fitting he's referring to remove is the fitting encircled in blue in the photo I posted.

Thanks...Some progress...opened the fitting on top (return) and got a lot of air and fuel...but it kicked off and will run but poorly...am in the process of changing the filters etc....stay tuned...

/ JD 270 Skid Steer no fuel issue...??? #9  
Don't just loosen the return fitting>> REMOVE IT..

Now that its running..[poorly].. it might be a good time to replace all the rubber seals in the line connections.. {to & from the lift pump & the inj. pump inlet line.}
They WILL suck air..
Once you got it running & you screwed the return connector back in tight.. did it STAY running?? or shut off?

OK...machine is back to running like it did before the no fuel issue...Thanks a ton for the insights...

BUT...The fuel issue cropped up while we were troubleshooting a draining battery issue... when the key is on the battery drains faster than the Alt. can keep it charged...(new Alt.)...
...we are trying to locate a short but so far no joy...one thing we did notice is when the power (key) is off...there is full continuity between the positive post on the IP solenoid post and ground...is this kosher?...when energized there is an audible click...

Thanks again for all the help to date...!! :thumbsup: