JD 2950 Throttle Stuck?

/ JD 2950 Throttle Stuck? #1  

bigblock76

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2120, John Deere 3140, John Deere 2950, John Deere 7700 Combine, John Deere STX38
I'll happily accept self humility if this is something I am overlooking....

Parked the tractor in March. After fooling around with painting the battery boxes, new batteries, and playing with the tie-rods, I just started the tractor this past week. Fired right up.

But when I went to put it in gear and rev up the engine before I let go of the clutch, the engine does not rev up.

I disconnected the linkage on the pump and I'm able to rev up the engine manually, but moving the hand throttle doesn't move the linkage at the pump.

I've tried stepping down on the foot throttle, it seems to be more rigid than the hand throttle. The hand throttle will move, but its probably bending a rod somewhere down the line. The foot throttle will not budge at all. However hitting the foot throttle or moving the hand throttle, I can see the connecting rod from one side to the other move and all the linkages kind of flex. But it certainly feels that something is locking it. Hitting, pulling, doesn't seem to do anything and I've sprayed oil on all the joints.

I've tried with the e-brake on / off. Steering wheel up / down. Nothing. What is going on here? I've never had this happen before. Mind you its been sitting.

M

/ JD 2950 Throttle Stuck? #2  
My guess is a part or wrench dropped into the linkage while you were working on the tractor. Look between the linkage at all points and the motor and anywhere else it runs.

/ JD 2950 Throttle Stuck? #3  
My guess is shaft is binding in bushings(key 20)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    66.5 KB · Views: 989
   / JD 2950 Throttle Stuck? #4  
I've tried stepping down on the foot throttle, it seems to be more rigid than the hand throttle. The hand throttle will move, but its probably bending a rod somewhere down the line. The foot throttle will not budge at all. However hitting the foot throttle or moving the hand throttle, I can see the connecting rod from one side to the other move and all the linkages kind of flex. But it certainly feels that something is locking it. Hitting, pulling, doesn't seem to do anything and I've sprayed oil on all the joints.

M
I think the foot throttle being rigid is the clue here. I have seen the pedal shaft seize in it's pivot point. Concentrate on freeing up that pivot point. Try tapping up and down on throttle pedal shaft with hammer while spraying penetrating oil. I am thinking it will free up.

/ JD 2950 Throttle Stuck?
I think the foot throttle being rigid is the clue here. I have seen the pedal shaft seize in it's pivot point. Concentrate on freeing up that pivot point. Try tapping up and down on throttle pedal shaft with hammer while spraying penetrating oil. I am thinking it will free up.

I'll try disconnecting the pedal linkage from the lever linkage and see what's stuck then at the bushing pivot points or the pedal. What a stupid problem to have... Had to move the tractor attaching bale twine to the pump and pull the rope to rev up while I moved it. Haha

At least there is no "lock" that was on that I wasn't aware of. I haven't lost any tools, they are all back in their place so that's good.

I'll try disconnecting the pedal linkage from the lever linkage and see what's stuck then at the bushing pivot points or the pedal. What a stupid problem to have... Had to move the tractor attaching bale twine to the pump and pull the rope to rev up while I moved it. Haha

At least there is no "lock" that was on that I wasn't aware of. I haven't lost any tools, they are all back in their place so that's good.

There is a plastic bell housing type of cover under the throttle and gear shifter linkages. I've removed the 4 nuts supporting it, but it doesn't budge. What is the correct way to access the bottom of the hand throttle arm linkage where it meets the shaft?

/ JD 2950 Throttle Stuck? #7  
There is another 3 bolts under the fender that attach the plastic guide around the shift console. I usually just loosen the ones under the fender and then remove the rest of the bolts on the tin cover as well as the load and depth adjusting knob to remove the tin cover. linkage is accessible then. you may need to remove the floor mat to access the lower bolts.

There is another 3 bolts under the fender that attach the plastic guide around the shift console. I usually just loosen the ones under the fender and then remove the rest of the bolts on the tin cover as well as the load and depth adjusting knob to remove the tin cover. linkage is accessible then. you may need to remove the floor mat to access the lower bolts.

Took another stab at it. Disconnected the foot pedal linkage from the shaft that goes from the right to left of the tractor. Foot pedal just dropped and is totally free.

I tried to remove the lower plastic bell housing that surrounds the bottom of the shift and throttle linkages but I dont see a proper way to access it that way without breaking that plastic housing. It doesn't drop out as its form fitted around the tractor unless what your saying is the side panel inside the tractor needs to come out with it?

When I move the hand throttle lever, I can see the rod moving down through the joint between the side of the housing and the floor, but the rod just moves 1/16" or so.

What is the best way to disconnect the linkage on the left side of the tractor where the shaft connects to the rod that throws the final pivot forward on top that pulls on the pump on the bottom of that pivot point?.

This is such a pain. Still haven't gotten this resolved yet.

I will try to access the linkages from the top by removing the 3 bolts on the fender and the load control depth knob next.

Last edited:
My guess is shaft is binding in bushings(key 20)

I see the rod attached to the hand lever go down when I move the handle. Part key #9 moves downward. Could it be that its popped out of the pivot arm at the bottom? I guess not because then the foot pedal would have still operated everything out and it doesnt. I'll have to take the side panel off... What a pain

I see the rod attached to the hand lever go down when I move the handle. Part key #9 moves downward. Could it be that its popped out of the pivot arm at the bottom? I guess not because then the foot pedal would have still operated everything out and it doesnt. I'll have to take the side panel off... What a pain

Disconnected more of the linkages.... Parts key 54 was locked up solid for some odd reason. Needed to hit it with a hammer with someone pulling on the rod then pushing and banging the other way... spraying a whole can of wd40 on it.... Finally it freed up a bit.

Wow that took a long time to resolve. Thanks TxJim for the parts diagram.

Last edited: