JD 3010 serial number and injection pump help

/ JD 3010 serial number and injection pump help #1  

nick1478

Tractor
John deere 3010
I'm new to the forum and new to this tractor so thank you for any help you may be able to give. I got this tractor from my father in law who said he was moving some dirt one day and the tractor just shut off and wouldn't restart. He had the low pressure pump and all the filters changed and no difference. He gave up on it and gave it to me. I've included the serial plate and can't find any information on the numbers I have stamped here. Looks like "11T 4331" to me. Also the tractor is supposedly a 3010, the engine casting says its a 3010 engine but the injection pump from my understanding and research is off a 4020. Is that correct? And can a 3010 use a 4020 injection pump or is that one of my issues there? I'm looking at getting it rebuilt but not sure if I even can or if it would be a waste of money. Any information is helpful, thank you.
20230130_151515.jpg
20231206_050336.jpg
20231206_052231.jpg
Screenshot_20231206_053933_Gallery.jpg

/ JD 3010 serial number and injection pump help #2  
Welcome to TBN

Let's look into the John Deere parts, and see if some part numbers line up with the conclusion someone apparently has made about interchange between the two models.

For the 3010

For the 4020

If you browse these two links, maybe you can pin down the part numbers of the pumps and use on the two models.

Tractor data can be another help in your search, as the s/n are likely going to affect any interchangeability of parts.

/ JD 3010 serial number and injection pump help #3  
Thank u for posting the inj pump name plate.!!
That is indeed for a 4020..
But if was running the engine, until it stopped..then..
Let me help u diagnose it..
Ur gonna hafta start w some charged batteries.. very important..
Look at the top cover on the pump.. there is a brass fitting that the fuel return line connects to..
The brass fitting should be screwed into another fitting, that’s screwed into the aluminum top cover..
Unscrew the return LINE from the brass fitting..
Now unscrew the fitting that’s screwed into the aluminum cover..
The brass fitting will come out w it..
If done correctly, you’ll be looking at a hole in the top cover..
Loosen the LINES FROM THE PUMP TO THE INJECTORS..
AT THE INJECTORS..
Loosen as many as u can..
Now.. pull the throttle to wide open.. and crank the engine for a 7-10 count..
Check to see if your getting fuel pumping out of the loosened lines..
If yes, tighten them up and try to start the engine..
If no, try cranking again..7-10 count..
Do that 3-4-5x..& if it still won’t pump fuel, we’ll hafta go deeper..
I forgot to mention, fuel WILL come out of the hole in the top cover..so be prepared for that..
U can reach me directly at my screen name at aoldotcom..
Good luck.

/ JD 3010 serial number and injection pump help
Welcome to TBN

Let's look into the John Deere parts, and see if some part numbers line up with the conclusion someone apparently has made about interchange between the two models.

For the 3010

For the 4020

If you browse these two links, maybe you can pin down the part numbers of the pumps and use on the two models.

Tractor data can be another help in your search, as the s/n are likely going to affect any interchangeability of parts.

Hey thanks for all those links. I checked them out and they got alot of information. One thing I saw was the 4020 came as a 6 cylinder and my tractor has a 4 cylinder. So I for sure have a 3010. I couldn't find any information on my specific serial number in those links though. So I'm still confused on that part.

/ JD 3010 serial number and injection pump help #5  
Hold the bus..
The inj pump name plate that u posted..
DBGVC 633-5AJ is a 6 cyl pump..
THAT won’t work on a 4 cylinder engine..

Thank u for posting the inj pump name plate.!!
That is indeed for a 4020..
But if was running the engine, until it stopped..then..
Let me help u diagnose it..
Ur gonna hafta start w some charged batteries.. very important..
Look at the top cover on the pump.. there is a brass fitting that the fuel return line connects to..
The brass fitting should be screwed into another fitting, that’s screwed into the aluminum top cover..
Unscrew the return LINE from the brass fitting..
Now unscrew the fitting that’s screwed into the aluminum cover..
The brass fitting will come out w it..
If done correctly, you’ll be looking at a hole in the top cover..
Loosen the LINES FROM THE PUMP TO THE INJECTORS..
AT THE INJECTORS..
Loosen as many as u can..
Now.. pull the throttle to wide open.. and crank the engine for a 7-10 count..
Check to see if your getting fuel pumping out of the loosened lines..
If yes, tighten them up and try to start the engine..
If no, try cranking again..7-10 count..
Do that 3-4-5x..& if it still won’t pump fuel, we’ll hafta go deeper..
I forgot to mention, fuel WILL come out of the hole in the top cover..so be prepared for that..
U can reach me directly at my screen name at aoldotcom..
Good luck.
Very helpful information. With the post above I found that the 4020 came with a 6 cylinder engine and a 3010 came with a 4 cylinder engine. So I'm not sure how my pump has 4 ports and not 6 if it was meant for a 4020. Also what I've done so far is, tried to pull start it. Didn't work, tried ether, which got it to smoke and spin a little faster but wouldnt fire up. Took the return line off and blew it out, didn't change anything. Checked for pressure from the low pressure pump. I have good pressure. Cracked the lines open at the injectors than tried cranking. Didn't get any fuel at the injectors.

Hold the bus..
The inj pump name plate that u posted..
DBGVC 633-5AJ is a 6 cyl pump..
THAT won’t work on a 4 cylinder engine..
Yup, that's what I just noticed. I'll post a picture of my pump so you can see how it's set up.

/ JD 3010 serial number and injection pump help #9  
For reference, the 1st # after the letters is the # of cyls..
DBGVC 431/433 would be a 4 cyl pump..

For reference, the 1st # after the letters is the # of cyls..
DBGVC 431/433 would be a 4 cyl pump..
Your name says the pump guy. So I would assume you deal with and rebuild pumps? If so would you happen to know how their is a 4 cylinder head on this pump body?