JD 3010 Starting Issue

/ JD 3010 Starting Issue #1  
Tractor
John Deere 112, John Deere 3010D
I recently purchased a John Deere 3010 Diesel that had been sitting for several years. It is a 24 volt system. I have replaced the voltage regulator, solenoid and batteries. Also, I have had both the generator and the starter rebuilt. It doesn't want to start now. When I crank the engine it doesn't crank very hard and when I back the key off to the "off" position it keeps cranking, but at a much slower rate. I then have to disconneect the battery. So it seems to me that if the starter doesn't stop cranking the current must not be cutting off at the switch. How do I test the switch? I have a multimeter with an ohms setting. Currently, I get continuity when I test between ST and BATA, but the continuity does shut off when I turn the switch off. However, I don't get continuity between ST and BATB when I turn the key. Can someone please help me make sense of this?

Thanks

/ JD 3010 Starting Issue #2  
Low voltage at starter can cause contact washer inside starter solenoid to stick to lugs. 24 volt systems are contrary and It's sad you didn't ask before you spent all that $$$$$ on parts/repair. I would have advised you for about $400 you could have changed it to 12 volt system. What is the batteries voltage? It's possible the starter had a faulty repair job. I'd advise you install and use a hyd pump destroking screw(parts key #6). Utilizing DS lets engine turn over easier without hyd pump drag. Parts key # 6 AR33249 subs to the following part numbers
. A4365R O-Ring View/Update 0.87 USD
R26448 O-Ring View/Update 1.51 USD
R27171 Screw View/Update 7.67 USD
R27475 Fitting View/Update 5.43 USD
34H254 Spring Pin View/Update 0.33 USD
*Subtotal 15.81 USD

Attachments

• RP3716_________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP3716_________UN01JAN94.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 111