JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #11  
Nybirdman, don't know why I thought Yanmar was a Chinese, not Japanese manufacturer. Thanks for this information. I'm more comfortable going with a JD 3038 now instead now instead of the L3800, which I did have my heart set on. Any idea why Kubota won't clean up that 3 point hitch valve problem?

Mike

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #12  
...Any idea why Kubota won't clean up that 3 point hitch valve problem?
I think back in 2005 and the cost of the valve was about $400... I was willing to pay that if I had to. The best "guess" was to try and make people buy the higher price Grand L model (or at least make that a reason to step up to the Grand L)... Until more people start to buy other brands, they sell a heck of allot of jerky hitches to people who don't know how smooth it should and could be.

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #13  
Please post what you find out about the JD3038. I was all set to buy the Kubota L3800 but will not buy a defective tractor that the company won't make good on. I was originally going to go with a JD but realy didn't want to deal with a Yanmar engine since so much junk comes out of China nowadays. But to knowlingly have a defective valve mechanism on the three point hitch doesn't speak well of Kubota at all. That's how a company loses it good name.

Mike

Another "wow" from me.

As others have mentioned, yanmar is a GREAT engine. I would not hesitate based on that.

And the kubota valve is NOT defective. It is just a different style of valve that is cheaper to make (since this is a economy model) and isnt as "luxurious" as other more expensive stuff.

To say it is defective would be like saying hand crank windows in your car are defective and that they should put power windows in all cars.

But again, the valve isnt defective, just different and cheaper to make to give customers the most tractor for their $$$. The 3PH doesnt bother me on mine. But sure, it would be nice to have the better valve. But then again, it would also have been nice to have HST, a stronger loader, push button PTO, open station, etc, etc, etc. But I could not afford the Grand-L kubotas.

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #14  
Any idea why Kubota won't clean up that 3 point hitch valve problem?

They push the L3800 as an "economy" model, so no Rolls-Royce valves for you! And you get a laughable plastic toolbox.

However, I have an L3800HST, which I use with a rear finish mower, bush hog, and backhoe. The jerkiness doesn't actually affect anything I do. It's just an "aesthetic annoyance".

I do wonder if it would bother me if I had a post-hole augur, but I have no experience with that.

Overall, I love my L3800HST. I do want to replace the plastic toolbox with a metal box some day, though.

I found it was considerably cheaper (around here) compared to the comparable JD models.

- Mike

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #15  
Nothing wrong with the John Deere, but if I had to balance out a jerky 3PH against an extra transmission range, I would pick the 3 range over a two every day.

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #16  
...I do wonder if it would bother me if I had a post-hole augur, but I have no experience with that...
Actually, that is the only time I was happy to have jerky hitch. It REALLY flung the dirt off the auger so that it didn't fall back into the hole!!!

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #18  
I was thinking Yanmar was Korean, but it really doesn't matter where they come from. They are among the best small diesel manufacturers in the world. Very good reputation.

I think the jerky 3 point was a compromise that Kubota wasn't willing to spend the extra time and money to correct. They still sell a lot of L series tractors, so the gamble paid off.

My toolbox is steel, 2009 model. You can fit a nice ham sandwich or two in it, but no more than 2 slices of cheese on the sandwich !

Like I said earlier, drive both now before you buy either one. It costs nothing to test drive them, but about $20K to correct a mistaken buy.

The Kubota is one sweet tractor, 3 ph aside. The Deere may have other objectionable traits worse than the 3 ph. I've never operated one, so I don't know. Paper specs are one thing, steel, feel, and ergonomics is another

Sean

Sean

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #19  
One of the reasons I looked at Kubota was that they had one of the best line ups for a 30hp tractor, the BX tractors are almost there, at the time Kubota had the 7800 and 3030 B tractors and a couple of L tractors (both economy and GL). They really gave lots of options.

/ JD 3038 vs. Kubota L3800 #20  
I have driven a 3032E and a B3300SU. The 3032E needs to be given throttle when you use high range or it will screech when you put your foot on the pedal. The low gear is similar to mid range on the Kubota. The 3 point hitch is really smooth, it also has a long lift leaver which allows for more precise height adjustment. I did notice the exposed drive line underneath but it doesnt affect us because it only drags the arenas and pulls a cart around the yard. It does not have a FEL so i have no expertise on that. it does have a yanmar engine, no glow plugs like the 3320. The fuel gauge on the hood isn't the best, i almost ran it out of fuel recently because the gauge was covered in dust and the level was not visible.

The Kubota is really nice. The backhoe is smooth, the FEL is smooth, it feels like more tractor. The FEL mounts are really narrow, there isn't much room between the loader arms and the hood for serviceability. I didn't like the high range, even on a gravel road it is screechy like the 3032E, even with throttle. It definitely has more features though. I would assume the L3800 is similar to the B3300 so my vote would be towards the L3800. And this is coming from a JD guy. :eek: