JD 317

/ JD 317 #1  

PLUMBER

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2520
Hi there , i just purchsed a JD 317 450 hrs has hydro outlets for plow . dont know much about this little tractor it does have a 3' deck the paint is near perfect seems to be in overall great condition . How long should a tractor like this last ? any common problems i should look for ? thank you

/ JD 317 #2  
i've got a 316 w/ almost 875 hrs. it still runs like a champ and i got it used. my 316, i believe is the same chassis as your 317 just a different motor. does it have a kohler or an onan for the motor? either were very good, one of my relatives has an older 318 w/ well over 1k hrs and its just starting to burn some oil. the good thing about the 300 series tractors is all the parts are still available and stocked at most local dealers. the factory attachments for them can be found as well. i think at least everyone i know who's owned the 300series w/ hst it may "creep" a bit while the fwd/rev selector is in the "park" or middle position. also watch the clear hose and sight glass on the rear for hst they will get brittle and crack. other than that they're great little machines.

/ JD 317 #3  
The Deere 317 was built from 1979 to 1983. Early ones with the Kohler series I engine had lubrication problems that resulted in engine failure very quickly if operated on slopes. A KT17 (good engine) Series II engine can be identified by an engine specification (Spec.) number of 24300 or higher. They closely match the 300, 312 and Kohler powered 316 (1978 only). In fact the 317 replaced the Kohler 316, and was in turn replaced in 1983 by the legendary 318. The 317 shares the frame design with th earlier 300 series tractors, but the later 318 and Onan 316 had a totally different frame design, totally different in the rear attachment set ups, but still similar in the front. Basically if you can find used attachments for the old Deere 120, 140, 300, 312, 314 and Kohler 316, they will fit your tractor with maybe a tweak here and there. The mower deck should be 4 feet wide. I am unaware of a 3 foot mower deck for these, unless someone has cobbled something together on it. These could be set up with sleeve hitches or a cat. "0" three point hitch to operate lots of different attachments.