Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace

/ Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace #1  

Stemp

Tractor
John Deere 318
Anyway NOT to remove bearing plate when replacing crankshaft seal? I have seal out..

Attachments

• 2A435152-FC0A-48AE-AD72-E0364B7F17EB.jpeg
    2A435152-FC0A-48AE-AD72-E0364B7F17EB.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:
   / Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace #2  
If there is room between the shaft and housing you can install a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws and carefully pry on the heads to pull the old seal out. Be careful not to scratch the shaft or bore with the screws though.

/ Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace #3  
If there is room between the shaft and housing you can install a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws and carefully pry on the heads to pull the old seal out. Be careful not to scratch the shaft or bore with the screws though.
If in doubt about seal bore condition I recommend coating the seal's OD lightly with Permatex #1 or #2. Transmission factory 'repair' dept & leak-test/repair experience. (front pump to converter and extension housing seals by the hundreds over the years)

btw, I learned with boat trailer bearings that a 'double-lip' vs 'single' obviates Bearing Buddies or other stuff to seal/contain in both directions. Also note that some mower spindles want the lower seal to be installed 'backwards' so that excess lube pressure will bypass vs blow it out. Dun right is dun once. Ya just need room to get at one.

/ Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace
I have seal out - just wondering if I can install new seal from the outside, engine still in tractor?😬

/ Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace #5  
So if you are looking for a way to drive the seal, possibly some PVC pipe will size up to the seal to use as the driver. Lube the shaft boss, seal before installation.

/ Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace
Yes I have that but it wongo in.I’m thinking you have to remove the bearing plate which means removing the Intake manifold and their new gaskets that I had just installed, the exhaust manifold and it’s new gaskets that I just installed and also order a gasket for the bearing plate just think that that’s a bad way to build this engine you should be able to drive a seal in from the outside in, but not sure how this motor is designed hope somebody out there knows thanks for answering

/ Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace #7  
I'd think too that it would be physically easier to drive the seal in with the cover off. The extra work may make this pay off for you though. Myself after I'd give it shot first before tearing down further, maybe even with a metal driver. It is amazing how tight some of these fit in a real engine!

/ Jd 318 onan b43g crankshaft rear seal replace #8  
If you took the seal out without disassemble you should be able to put one back in.