JD 3320 and Frontier T1260

/ JD 3320 and Frontier T1260 #1  

BloomingtonMike

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I think I may have found a Frontier RT1260 for sale locally. Any problems with using this MEdium Duty tiller on my 3320. It lists HP range 30-50 on the specs. 3320 PTO HP is 25ish I believe. Tiller is only 55" wide but weighs 575lbs. Any advice?

Price is good at $2100.

/ JD 3320 and Frontier T1260 #2  
Hi Mike,

I don't have a tiller, nor have I used one, but as you know, 575#'s isn't much on the back on a 3320 ( heck, not even "ballast"! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

I would think your machine would turn most any 55 inch tiller comfortably, but in fairness, a slip clutch would protect your PTO for certain... does it have one?

I was torn between a logging winch or tiller.... could make more back on the winch... plus do major property reshaping...
Good luck with the purchase!

/ JD 3320 and Frontier T1260
Yes it does have a slip clutch.

RT1260 Medium duty 55-in Rotary Tiller
Blades type "C" with an helicoidale disposition
Skid shoes for depth control working
Single speed gear box and chain side drive ASA 100
Cat 1 or 2 iMatch compatible
P.T.O shaft with slip clutch
1 Year Warranty

SPECS
Adjustable lower hitches
Blades rotor no.: 4
Drive Chain: ASA 100
Flanges rotor no.: 8
Gearbox speed: Single
Operating weight: 574 lb.
Parking Stand
PTO Shaft: slip clutch
Rear door support: Chain
Skid shoes: Adjustable
Three point hitch: Category 1 or 2, iMatch compatible
Tines std.: C
Tractor HP (MAX): 60 hp
Tractor HP (min): 30-50 hp
Tractor PTO speed: 540
Width grouping: 60 inches
Working width: 55 inches

Is this thing worth $2100?????
Should I be concearned about the chain drive vs Gear drive.

/ JD 3320 and Frontier T1260 #4  
It is worth no more than that, Mike, in my mind. I think your tractor would handle it fine, though. I would not be concerned about the chain drive, it will be plenty durable for most needs. Hey can you come till my garden?

John M

/ JD 3320 and Frontier T1260 #5  
I've got a 3320 and the JD 655 tiller. It has a self tensioning chain on the side. I used it this past weekend for the first time on some sloped rocky soil. Worked great . . . even up hill. The only time it bogged was when I hit a quite solid and hidden oak stump. It bent two tines and jammed the tiller. Although the tiller's clutch did work as intended, it smoothly killed the engine, likely because I'm at the low end of the required hp range. It happened slowly enough that I could have prevented the engine from dying by turning off the PTO had I not been so distracted (unfortunately, not by the neighbor's wife). I used my 3ph log splitter (with the knife removed) to bend the tines back into shape. Otherwise, I could run it as deep as it would go and only noticed a slight load on the engine during sharp turns. I was in A range and running the pto at 540 rpm somewhere between .5 and 1.5 mph. The 655 weighs about 500 lbs. The 3320 didn't seem to even notice that it was there. I used the 655 with my 300cx loader on (HD bucket). Most of the time my bucket was carrying a load of rocks I picked up along the way. With iMatch, and no loader, the tiller calls for 2 front weights I believe. Without iMatch it only calls for 1. I don't know if that's considering loaded front tires. All my tires are loaded with RimGuard. By the way, this was unbroken ground with the exception that I ran across it a couple times with the scarifiers of my box blade engaged in the soil to pop out or at least discover and manually remove the larger rocks before tilling. 655 says it's made in Italy. So far I'm very pleased. I think the Frontier would be quite similar. Oh yeah. . . and afterwards I took care of that pesky stump with the 448. It was a fighter. It was a great weekend.

So for now the RT1260 is out - another salesman promised it to another buyer who so far is without money to buy it. Hmm - JD loyalty at its finest - I am sitting here with cash in hand. Grrr.

/ JD 3320 and Frontier T1260 #7  
You have to admire a salesman that backs his word. Next time it may be to your benefit.

chuck

/ JD 3320 and Frontier T1260 #8  
I am so far pretty impressed with the silly expensive JD 665 tiller I bought. I got it for $2500 when I bought my 3520. My property at some point in it's history was the Clackamas river shore/bed. Lots and lots (and lots and lots) of smooth round rocks in the soil. Some so big I can barely get them in the loader. So big that I thought the tiller was going to fly over my head a few times.
Add to that a few metal fenceposts and a few stumps that didn't get ground quite low enough.
But even in soaking wet dirt that has never ever been turned, I was GoKarting around and enjoying the experience.
Mine also says it was made in Italy. They must have rocks there too!

I hope so. Today he called and said the potential buyer refused to put any money down and asked me if I wanted it. I bought it over the phone. I hope to pick it up in the next day or so. Expensive tomatos this year I guess.

Brings up a good question. I will post in attachments.

Here is a pic of the tiller I bought.

72961305.jpg