JD 3320 Front Wheel??

/ JD 3320 Front Wheel?? #1  

scodemike

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XR3135HC
I decided today after 5 years of use to put my front tires on my 3320 Cab on the wider stance like the rears. The fronts have never been off the tractor since I bought it new.

I discovered in removing the bolts with my impact that two were coming out hard. After removal I find the threads are stripped in the hub, with the bolts threads filled with hub materiel. Any one run into this before and can you run a tap through and install new bolts or do you have to replace the hub?

/ JD 3320 Front Wheel?? #2  
I decided today after 5 years of use to put my front tires on my 3320 Cab on the wider stance like the rears. The fronts have never been off the tractor since I bought it new.

I discovered in removing the bolts with my impact that two were coming out hard. After removal I find the threads are stripped in the hub, with the bolts threads filled with hub materiel. Any one run into this before and can you run a tap through and install new bolts or do you have to replace the hub?

I'd chase the threads, torque the bolts and keep a close eye on them. You might want to torque stripe (use a paint marker across the bolt head to the adjacent hub) to make it a bit easier to see if the bolts are loosening.
If the bolts do not stay tight, you could ask your dealer about installing inserts at those two stripped threads.

I do expect you'll have to replace the hub sometime.

Good time to remind people to torque their wheel bolts properly. Do not use a pneumatic gun when installing wheels (which is probably why your bolts are stripped).

/ JD 3320 Front Wheel?? #3  
You can try to chase them, but it sounds like you might be needing some helicoils to fix it permanently if that much material was on the threads.

Also remember that the front axle pivots, so you won't gain any more stability till after the axle hits the stops.

/ JD 3320 Front Wheel??
Thanks for the responses. I found a tap and chased the hub threads, installed new bolts and all is good. It turns out the threads were not gone in the hub, just crossed threaded.

/ JD 3320 Front Wheel?? #5  
Thanks for the responses. I found a tap and chased the hub threads, installed new bolts and all is good. It turns out the threads were not gone in the hub, just crossed threaded.

I'm glad it worked out for you...but do check those bolts before use! Chasing the threads may have removed some material and the fit make not be as tight as it once was.