JD 335 Round Baler - not wrapping entire bale

/ JD 335 Round Baler - not wrapping entire bale #1  

cedarrockcsa

Tractor
JD 4020, JD 2520, NH 7740 SLE, AC D17, AC WD-45, White Field Boss 37, Farmall Cub
Hello everyone,

This is my first year round baling, and I'm using the family's JD 335 Round Baler. I had a problem where the hydraulic twine arm wouldn't go back last week. I attempted to push it just a few times with the hydraulics before I had my neighbor stop by while I was in the seat - it turned out that the knife needed greased as it was stuck in the close position.

Since then, I'm only wrapping 3/4 of the bale with twine. The arm extends out, catches on and wraps, and I bring it back and it cuts successfully. It had different twine in it, but the twine does seem loose enough to me. With the twine arm fully extended we measured the exposed part of the hydraulic cylinder and the casing, and they are the same length verifying the arm is fully extended. Before we measured, I swore that the arrow in front of the yellow strip with black indicator marks, when the arm extended, went to the far right indicator. There are 6 or 7 indicators on this yellow strip. Maybe I'm wrong and the arrow never went over to the far right indicator mark...it only goes over to the next to last one now.

I'm out of ideas. Is there some piece under the right side of the baler that the twine catches onto that wraps it on the end, and maybe I'm missing that piece now?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sam

/ JD 335 Round Baler - not wrapping entire bale #3  
Welcome to TBN
Have twine tubes pivot points be greased lately?? Is a hay compression rod blocking twine tube travel? Twine tubes travel from home position to RH side of baler when tubes reach close to center twine starts being applied to bale then tubes continue to RH side limited by adjustment on threads of cyl rod. I saw no RH twine guide in parts catalog that could limit twine tubes travel.

/ JD 335 Round Baler - not wrapping entire bale
I did grease the pivot points. I think I need to put a bale in it and then try the twine tube and see if something blocks it. The only twine guide I know of are within the tube/arm itself.

/ JD 335 Round Baler - not wrapping entire bale #5  
From baler design bale of hay in chamber can't block twine arm from traveling to RH side of baler. I'd suggest to open & ""LOCK tailgate in raised position" then while someone cycles twine arms with tractor hyd's with pto in OFF position observe travel of twine arms. Parts catalog lists a LH twine guide either stationary or adjustable but none on the RH side.

/ JD 335 Round Baler - not wrapping entire bale
Figured it out. The hole for the pivot bolt is not a stanard hole, but a slot in the shape of an arc. I noticed when looking again that the bolt had moved about 3/4 of an inch. Turns out when the knife was in locked position and I was pushing against it, the force of the hydraulics moved the bolt. I loosened it, moved it back the 3/4 of an inch, and then the twine wrapped the remaining foot it hadn't before.

Balers are indeed a complicated piece of machinery - at least when they break!

/ JD 335 Round Baler - not wrapping entire bale #7  
Thanks for update. I'm glad you got it sorted out.
Jim