JD 346 wire tie problem

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #1  

spectre533

Tractor
LS5020C
My 346 wire tie is driving me nuts. The first bale ties great! The second bale ties correct on left side, but the hook twister misses the wire and does not put it in the gripper. The wire then gets all twisted around the twister shaft. I have a JD owner manual and repair manual for it and have tried all corrective actions by the book. I have checked timing, aligned twister hooks, replaced grippers, put in spacers. Anyone else had this problem?

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #2  
The second bale ties correct on left side, but the hook twister misses the wire and does not put it in the gripper. The wire then gets all twisted around the twister shaft.

1st thing I do is pour oil on wire in boxes as wire isn't as oily as it was back in the olden days before oil got high priced. Then you need to understand that twister hook has nothing to do with wire getting into gripper. Wire getting in gripper is determined by how close needle is adjusted to twister shaft which should be 1/8". Also is nose of gripper smooth with no apparent wire groove? Is twister shaft smooth with no wire groove? Wear in a twister hook that can catch wire is difficult to determine with the naked eye. Twister hook can be retarded one & maybe two teeth from factory setting which is point of twister hook seating directly under gripper pivot bolt. This retardation helps completed twist slide around twister shaft as next bale pushes completed bale back in bale case. I attempted to PM you with my phone # but I'm not sure it went through. If you need some further explanation PM me with your phone #.

/ JD 346 wire tie problem
Tx, thanks for the reply. I made all the adjustments advised and think the one they may solve for me is the 1/8" needle to twister shaft. I was off there enough to cause the problem. I did get your ph # and may call if I get no fix. Thanks again

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #4  
1st thing I do is pour oil on wire in boxes as wire isn't as oily as it was back in the olden days before oil got high priced. Then you need to understand that twister hook has nothing to do with wire getting into gripper. Wire getting in gripper is determined by how close needle is adjusted to twister shaft which should be 1/8". Also is nose of gripper smooth with no apparent wire groove? Is twister shaft smooth with no wire groove? Wear in a twister hook that can catch wire is difficult to determine with the naked eye. Twister hook can be retarded one & maybe two teeth from factory setting which is point of twister hook seating directly under gripper pivot bolt. This retardation helps completed twist slide around twister shaft as next bale pushes completed bale back in bale case. I attempted to PM you with my phone # but I'm not sure it went through. If you need some further explanation PM me with your phone #.

I'm having exact same problem. I know this is an old thread but can you walk me thru the process? I'm new to JD balers

Thanks

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #5  
Welcome to TBN
I surprised to find out there's a wire baler as far North as Baltimore. I don't know what you want when you state "walk me through process"? Do you not understand the terminology for wire baler components?
Jim

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #6  
I have a jd224ws. I got it out to get it ready to bale and noticed the wires aren't in the grippers. I've adjusted the needles to the specs of a quarter of an inch. Now how do I get wires behind the grippers? Any help thanks

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #7  
Welcome to TBN
With needles in home position route each wire through frt wire guide & under wire guide roller then over needle roller then under rear wire guide roller then tie ends of wire to needle frame. When tying system is activated wire will be put in grippers by needles.

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #8  
Welcome to TBN
With needles in home position route each wire through frt wire guide & under wire guide roller then over needle roller then under rear wire guide roller then tie ends of wire to needle frame. When tying system is activated wire will be put in grippers by needles.

Thank you

yes that worked, tied the wire just as you said and with the tractor running bailer I tripped the tying system and they went right into place, so easy thanks Tx Jim.

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #9  
Tx Jim a question on how that system works, after the first bale is made and the bale is tied, and the gripper moves to the other side is it the needle that puts the wire behind the gripper again? seems kinda complex. I guess it seems that once the gripper switches and lets go of the wire hows it going to grab it again?

/ JD 346 wire tie problem #10  
You're welcome. I've been repairing/operating JD wire balers since the late 60's. I've owned a 347 wire baler for yrs. Needle brings wire that's under forming bale up to gripper every time a bale is tied. Wire is held in gripper on different side of gripper with every bale. At same time gripper gets wire knife cuts wire. Yes it's complex system but hasn't changed much from model 214WS baler(made back in the early 60's) up to current model 348 as wire tying parts are the same for all models.