JD 350 crawler reverser help wanted

/ JD 350 crawler reverser help wanted #1  

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
Went to a cookout at my neighbor's the other day, shows me his dozer he bought about a year ago. Tells me straight up he's no mechanic, but wants to do things right, maintain his stuff correctly. Then tells me about some operational issues with the dozer. Runs good, pushes good on flat ground or down hill, but not forward uphill. Seems it's when warmed up, he let it sit, when he came back, it came up the hill forward right after start up.

Mid-60's model, has reverser. Looks low on hydraulic fluid, but that should only effect the blade, right? Reverser should have it's own case and fluid. Is there a dipstick to check it? I didnt get to check the machine closely.

Are there any forums like TBN that focus on the JD 350s?

Any help, advice, direction, ideas, are welcome.

/ JD 350 crawler reverser help wanted #2  
John Deere crawler FAQ's - JDcrawlers Messageboard

On my 550 and the 450B, there is a dipstick for the transmission right under the seat. I can only assume that the fluid is low, or there is a hole in the pickup possibly? The guys on the crawler forum will be much more help!

/ JD 350 crawler reverser help wanted
Thanks RNR... that site was helpful to me, and I will pass it on to the dozer owner next time I see him.

/ JD 350 crawler reverser help wanted #4  
When my JD 2030 tractor (not a dozer) gets low on hydraulic fluid, my HI-LO clutch pack will slip when going up hill. My guess is low hydraulic fluid causes the transmission pump to not pickup oil and the HI clutch loses pressure and slips. It only happens if the fluid is low AND going up a hill. Adding fluid fixes it.