JD 3720 Rotary Mowers

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
Anyone have a recommendation on MX5 vs. MX6?

The JD website recommends an MX5 for a 3720 but it also shows the MX6 is well within the capacity of a 3720. I'll be mowing some woody shrubs under the 2" guidance but mostly cutting grass on trails I'll drive with my truck. It's three passes on a truck trail vs two I suppose but it's also a few hundred pounds or so on the trailer that I could do without if I could do without.

Thoughts+

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #2  
On my Dad's 3720 we run an MX6 and it is a lot of mower for the tractor. If you are doing light brush it will work fine but the MX5 will perform better on the trails vs. the MX6. If you say hit a rock or mow through larger shrubs the mower will loose momentum and when it tries to regain it the whole tractor will shake for a few minutes. My vote is on the MX5. :)

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers
Thanks for the input. That was my main concern but I didn't want to lead the discussion.

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #4  
Thanks for the input. That was my main concern but I didn't want to lead the discussion.

Along with being easier on the 3720 to power, your tractor will likely have less wear on internal components vs/ running the MX6. :thumbsup:

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #5  
My neighbor bought a slightly used 3720 that came with a 655 tiller and an MX6. After a few uses he sold the MX6. He felt is was a bit much for the tractor. He hasn't replaced it yet but is keeping his eye out for a decent 5'.

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #6  
5' rotary cutter for the 3720. Better match for HP and weight.

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #7  
Anyone have a recommendation on MX5 vs. MX6?

The JD website recommends an MX5 for a 3720 but it also shows the MX6 is well within the capacity of a 3720. I'll be mowing some woody shrubs under the 2" guidance but mostly cutting grass on trails I'll drive with my truck. It's three passes on a truck trail vs two I suppose but it's also a few hundred pounds or so on the trailer that I could do without if I could do without.

Thoughts+

I got a Frontier RC 1060 for my 30.5 pto hp JD 3520. Yours is about 4-5 more pto hp than mine.

I asked the same question and got half saying go with the 5 ft and the rest said go with the 6 ft.

I decided I wanted the tractor to run the implement not the implement run the tractor so I went with the 5 footer. It covers my wheel tracks and doesn't bog down in thick stuff. I've been pleased with my decision.

I never want to get a piece of equipment thats too much for my tractor.

Of course the 5 footer looks small compared to our 10.5 Bush Hog we run behind our JD 4010 but it fits and works great behind my 3520 and thats ok with me.

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #8  
I think you're limiting your choices a bit. Why don't you consider the Frontier RC2072 six footer? It weighs about 150# less than the MX5, but has faster blade tip speed for better cut quality on grass. I power mine with my 3038e and bogging down has never been a problem, and it certainly shouldn't be with your 3720. Though the RC2072 is rated for 1" cut capacity, I have cut 2" trees numerous times with it without a problem; just go slow. I find that I need cutting capacity a lot less than I need extra cutting width. The time savings can be substantial with a six foot hog over a 5 footer.
It is also nice to have the hog overhang the tractor width by a several inch margin. It's much easier to cut up against a fence line or around trees.

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #9  
My suggestion is the 5 footer, either MX5 or a Frontier, as stated it is a much better fit for your tractor and still provides coverage over the wheel base. From what you described as the task at hand, there won't be meaningful time savings and better movement. Compare specifications between the MX Series and the Frontier Series as there are differences.

/ JD 3720 Rotary Mowers #10  
Unless you have heavy grass, the 6' mower would be my choice. The 3720 has plenty of hp for 6' mower. You can also mow less width if you need. 5' tractor width will tend to push out the grass a bit and a 5' may not quite cover it. Easier to mow next to objects or buildings with mower wider than the tractor. If you have a FEL, the front end extra weight will handle a 6' just fine.