JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers?

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #71  
I've just embarked on the spacer road recently, and right now all I feel is insulted. John Deere told me that I bought the wrong tool for my property, that it's my fault that I own an unstable tractor. Jeez, this is western Kentucky - there ain't nothin' flat here. Maybe John Deere just shouldn't sell CUTs here at all. Anyway, I maintain 30 acres of diagonal with my 3720. Fourth tractor I've owned here, and I didn't have any "tippy issues" with the first three. So I first upgraded the 3720 from skinny R1s to wide R4s. That turned out to be a waste of time, because the max R1 rear track of 68.4" was reduced to an R4 max of 59.7 inches. So I added nearly half a ton of liquid ballast to all four R4s. Helped some, but not enough. So I'm moving on to spacers.

I agree with the poster that said there'd be too much stress if you put them on a backhoe-equipped 3x20 series, but feel they're perfectly legit otherwise. Unfortunately, John Deere doesn't. I was told flat out "if you put something on there that you didn't buy from Deere, all bets are off". Once I install spacers, they'll refuse to honor the warranty for any rear drive related issues.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but I'm pretty sure they didn't think through this excuse; the service manager said "it puts too much weight on the (axle) bearing". If I had a backhoe, I'd have bought that. But I don't, and I won't. Besides, they were more than willing to sell me ballasted R1s set out to 68.4 inches. Deere also sells a fender extension to accommodate for that width. My spacer plan will result in R4s set out to 66.1 inches, well within the "authorized" max for R1s. That argument was lost on them.

Spacers simply move the wheels a little farther away from the hubs, there is no extension of the axle involved. Backhoe equipped 3x20s aside, the only weight the bearings support - and by extension the rear axle housings - is that of the tractor itself. Adding a spacer between the hub and the wheel does not increase the net tractor weight. And weight beyond the hub - spacer/wheel/tire/ballast - is supported by the ground. Unless the tires comes off the ground, there is NO additional "weight on the bearing". And the whole idea behind the spacers is to PREVENT the tire from coming off the ground in the first place.

Anyway - I'm going ahead with the 4" (per side) spacer installation, ordered them from the machinist today. I'll also add the "JD-authorized" fender extensions as well. Will update everyone as the situation progresses, but in the mean time I also invite any discussion or comments.

//greg//

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #72  
66 - 68" will make it much more stable. When I went with the Wide Turf Specials set on wide, mu unit's stance ended up being 66" +. Tractor became much, much more stable.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #73  
Greg,

I have 4" on either side of my 3320 and it is a completely different tractor. In average use there is no significant effect on the wheel bearings. The minimal weight of the spacers is transmitted from the weight through the wheel and tire directly to the ground. The only effect is in fact a slight increase in bending moment on the axle, but as you point out, is well within the maximum track of the vehicle.

Mine is out of warranty, but I would not have let that stop me. Just remember to remove them if you ever take the tractor to the dealer for service so you avoid a hassle even on unrelated issues.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers?
I priced wheel extensions for my 3720 cab tractor at two different Deere dealers. One quoted prices from Unverferth and the other quoted a price for the Deere skid steer which will also work. Neither expressed any concern of voiding the Deere warranty and it wouldn't have made any difference to me even if they had.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #75  
Yeah, and I brought this up again specifically because of that discrepancy. I've read from many of you that spacers were purchased through - and installed - by JD dealers. Mine stonewalled me, saying it would deny me any rear drive warranty coverage. Taking it to Deere was just as useless. Both dealer and corporate arguments amounted to little more than principle over science.

//greg//

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #76  
Update: ignoring my written request for assistance in pursuing this as a safety of life issue, the selling dealer added insult to injury by stipulating that they'd require me to sign a waiver - releasing both them and Deere from any liability - warranty or otherwise - resulting from the installation of rear spacers.

Man. Talk about differences between dealers. It's pretty clear that this one and I are done. My spacers are being machined as I write, and I'll simply make an appointment at another area dealer (not affiliated with the first) to have them and some fender extenders installed.

//greg//

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers? #77  
Man. Talk about differences between dealers. It's pretty clear that this one and I are done. My spacers are being machined as I write, and I'll simply make an appointment at another area dealer (not affiliated with the first) to have them and some fender extenders installed.

//greg//

You might want to discuss this with one of the Deere regional managers.

/ JD 3x20 Wheel Spacers?
Update: ignoring my written request for assistance in pursuing this as a safety of life issue, the selling dealer added insult to injury by stipulating that they'd require me to sign a waiver - releasing both them and Deere from any liability - warranty or otherwise - resulting from the installation of rear spacers.

//greg//
Too bad you ran into that buzz saw. Actually, you could install the fender extensions and the spacers --- not difficult at all. My R4 tires are filled with Rim Guard and I did it with the help of my wife. I also installed wheel spacers on my 4320 with much larger/heavier R4 tires filled with Rim Guard. It's not difficult if you loosen the lug bolts slightly and then jack up the tractor until the wheel just starts to lift off the bolts and then remove the studs. You can then wriggle the wheel back and forth and roll out of the way without letting it fall over. My wife held the wheel upright while I installed the spacers. Then roll the wheel back in place. May have to fiddle with the wheel to achieve alignment of holes and bolts. I used a 2x4 as a fulcrum to turn the wheel slightly to get correct alignment.