JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing
Surely do wish I had a bag of tricks.:(

Throw a tarp over the tractor also and hook up a battery charger. That will help get the whole thing warmed up.:)

Think about making a battery maintainer a permanent set up.

Then check out all the switches etc. and battery posts. Check fuses and remove reinstall relays. Use some dielectric grease on them. Heat gun can come in handy when doing this but don't melt the plastics.

Wife's hair dryer would also work but make sure the shed has enough room for a cot and one of them -30 C rated sleeping bags.

Note: I never follow my own advice??:D
Thanks. Will try the battery charger right now. As for the cot in the shed. Let's not give my wife any ideas.:cool2:

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #12  
When you say you hear a slight click is that from the starter solenoid or just your glow plug timer switching out. What does the battery voltage read?

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #13  
If you turn the key and nothing happens, not even the dimming of dash lights, I do not think its the starter being frozen. If it was frozen you would think there would be a high current draw as the starter is trying to turn which would then cause the lights to dim. I'm thinking it is a saftey switch, maybe the seat or the pto switch for the mower. Sounds light something has froze up or got moved be accident. If you turn the key, you should here a click of the soleniod for the starter, if that's not happenning it's got to be in the safety curcuit. :2cents:

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #14  
Could aslo be a bad ground to you engine.;)

It started !! thanks to all that tried to help (even non JD owners). Out temperature moderated and I put a space heater close to the starter. If it was a frozen starter, bendix or safety switch, something thawed and it started and now I can finish plowing. Oh joy, oh joy. How can I keep this from happening again. It has never happened before. Will idling the engine 10 or 15 min after I finish plowing sort of dry things out ?
Again, thank you all for the help.

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #17  
:thumbsup:

Until you know what it was you won't know to prevent it again. If something was frozen that's easy. Or maybe it just fixed itself? Happened to me before on plenty of things. Glad to hear.

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #18  
Good to hear it's running.:thumbsup:

Running for a bit after the snow work is over won't hurt anything. Go over all the connections, clean & grease them.

Thanks again. Happened to run into a JD mech and he said it in not uncommon for the safety switches to freeze up from plowing. Like Egon said, "clean and grease" and also WD 40. Gotta go and finish plowing.

/ JD 4010 Compact won't start after snow plowing #20  
As an after thought I would get some power to the shed even if it is with an extension cord. Then put a block heater on the tractor or any other type of heater to keep your little baby warm.