JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice

/ JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice #1  

2001 JD4110

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD-4110
1400 hrs. been great! I took front wheels off for new tires but dealer got wrong size so I put them back on, next morning I see a puddle on each side & find lower seals on knuckle leaking alot...wtf? #22 in pic

Attachments

• pic.JPG
    pic.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 3,152
   / JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice #2  
Shoot me your email, I have a PDF of the Deere tech manual you're welcome to

Joe

/ JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice
update...Wow, seems like a very easy peasy job fer sure!:) Drain, pull #2 in bolts(4) carefully pry apart lower assembly from top, pop out seal from lower assy. & renew. Then remove snap ring(24) from upper knuckle/doohickey thingy and again carefully pry "SLEEVE" down off upper assy(on tractor) & renew, viola!
2nd pic new sleeve not fully seated yet..I used the old sleeve & a GM hub nut socket to fully seat. A tech at my local JD dealer told me about the sleeve...what a novel idea to protect the shaft. :)

Attachments

• Right seal-sleeve (7).JPG
    Right seal-sleeve (7).JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 731
  • Right seal-sleeve (6).JPG
    Right seal-sleeve (6).JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
   / JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice
Finished it up & cut some lawn! :) Seperating the lower hub/gear case from the upper knuckle today on the left side was alot harder than the right? WTF! I I whacked the crap out of it with a rubber mallet prolly 100xs! The shaft stayed with the lower case this time & luckily everything above stayed in line. I couldnt get it out, it was really stuck in its lower bearing? weird....I had to grasp somehow & wrapped a serp belt & vise gripped it, pc.of wood for a fulcrum & smacked on thoes LOL what a PITA but got it:) popped the seal & off to the races! when filling diff. remove small vent plug on ea. wheel case assy. Now I gotta fix the worn out joints on strg gear......

Attachments

• LF spindle (2).JPG
    LF spindle (2).JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 812
  • LF spindle (1).JPG
    LF spindle (1).JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 1,194
   / JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice #5  
Hopefully I don't get flamed too bad for posting in a 5 year old thread, but have basically the same issue so I didn't want to start a new thread about the same exact problem. I did PM the OP first a few days ago, but I saw he hasn't been on in a week or two (04/09/2020), so was hoping someone could offer some commentary.

I pulled everything apart to inspect it on my 4100. I know this is dealing with a 4110, but have been doing a lot of reading on the topic and it seems similar issues spanned a bunch of different models (I read all about BigJim's issues and those write-ups). Everything looked good when inspecting bearing, shafts, case, etc... So I'm thinking its just the seal (Part #22 in the picture in Post #1). Got a little confused with the pictures in this thread, specifically the 3rd post. If I'm just replacing the seal, the "SLEEVE" as mentioned in post #3 won't have to be touched at all, correct?

Basically just trying to order all the parts at the same time and, as of right now, think I only have to order the seal.

Appreciate any insight! -tim

/ JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice #6  
Well, quick update if anyone had stopped by since I revived this. Replaced the seals and shim on one side. Decided to go to the other side and do the same. I opened it up and found that the previous owner must have done bearings it looks like and completely left the bushing out when putting everything back together :thumbdown:

Was told I'd have to order the updated case if I wanted to get the bushing from one dealer, but local one told me I should be okay. Picked up the bushing today and can't figure how it fits.
Not sure if I'm over thinking it and being too cautious, or if the bushing has been updated as well as does not fit....the saga continues :confused:. I'll try and update if I ever get it figured out.

/ JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice #7  
Well, quick update if anyone had stopped by since I revived this. Replaced the seals and shim on one side. Decided to go to the other side and do the same. I opened it up and found that the previous owner must have done bearings it looks like and completely left the bushing out when putting everything back together :thumbdown:

Was told I'd have to order the updated case if I wanted to get the bushing from one dealer, but local one told me I should be okay. Picked up the bushing today and can't figure how it fits.
Not sure if I'm over thinking it and being too cautious, or if the bushing has been updated as well as does not fit....the saga continues :confused:. I'll try and update if I ever get it figured out.

Which number is the bushing (from the drawing in post #1)? That might help me follow what does not fit.

/ JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice #8  
@Zebrafive the bushing is part #12 (JD part # LVU800629) in the diagram from post #1. It fits around the spindle (part #13 in the diagram), but is the same diameter of the bottom of the gear case (part #14 in the diagram) and can’t see how it will fit in there unless it is supposed to be pressed around the spindle first? (Or it’s not the same size as the original, which is really what I am also trying to rule out.)

I don’t really want to tear back apart the other side that went so smoothly, but might have to as a last resort I guess.

/ JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice #9  
Here is a picture of part #12 for reference. I'll try and get a picture out in the garage later of it lined up with the bottom of #14.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.01.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.01.16 AM.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 166
   / JD 4110 front axle seals leaking-need help/advice #10  
I was able to get out into the garage today to snap some pictures of what I was talking about with the bushing not fitting into the bottom of the case. Hopefully this will give some perspective to anyone able to help...

1st image is the bushing setting on the inverted bottom of the case to show how it doesn't fit
2nd is showing how loose the bushing is around the original spindle
3rd image is the bushing I bought to replace the missing one (JD part #LVU800629)
4th image is the spindle

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 9.56.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-07 at 9.56.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-07 at 9.55.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-07 at 9.54.51 PM.png

Any help would be super appreciated. Haven't heard anything back from a few messages I've sent out, so might just tear the other side apart to compare. If I do, I will definitely update in case anyone else runs into this. Thanks! -tim