JD 425 Oil pressure problem

/ JD 425 Oil pressure problem #11  
Rob
I do not know what the rotor material is, but gut feeling it is a hard rubber or neoprene.. and not metal.

Someone may chime in here who knows..

Being as it comes in a kit, then I'm thinking a normal wear item to replace.

Might be another way to test oil pressure.. to nail it down for you.

Checked in my service tech manual, and 40 psi is needed for oil pressure.. looks like the test port is where the oil sensor is threaded in by the oil filter can.

To continue, suggest you get the service tech manual. Might be an engine saver.

The oil pump inspection from service manual. The one Note that says the rotor housing should be filled with oil for initial lubrication suggests a possible cause of your lack of oil pressure.. just a thought.

Attachments

• 425_oil_pump_inspection.jpg
    425_oil_pump_inspection.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
   / JD 425 Oil pressure problem #12  
Here's some thoughts on why a rotor assembly might need replacement, and oil pressure could be lost. Age of tractor, number of hours on it. How often the oil and filter were changed and under what conditions engine was run. Was air filter service done regularly? Oil pumps and the rotor assemblies have close tolerances, as shown in the diagram. And if the mentioned screen was not fitting correctly or was excessively dirty or clogged this could contribute to loss of pressure.

You could switch to one of the high mileage oils used in older cars to take advantage of the 'molasses effect', which could help maintain better pressure once you rebuild whatever is worn out.