JD 4300 hydro drive 4

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #11  
The outer front axle seals are shown in the repair manual. There are two types in
2001, as they must have changed the design about then. It goes by serial number.

The model # of the front axle is hidden under paint next to the fill hole. All versions of the front axle
(4 total, I think) are shown in the manual. Tho 2001 is the last year of this tractor series, the actual
tractor may have the earlier type.

Attachments

• Axle_ID.JPG
    Axle_ID.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 192
   / JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #12  
I filled up the front reservoir tonight , it took about 1/2 gallon, maybe less, and not running nothing is leaking, started it up and no leak, turned the front tires back and forth, no leaks. drove it around a little, no leaks.
Hmmm. I will use it more this weekend and report either way.

Besides Power Steering, and front wheel fwd, what does the front hydraulic reservoir run?

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4
Before I made a "breather" plug for the front axle, I would leave the dipstick a little loose so that the pressure couldn't build up. The front axle assembly is its own reservoir for bearing and gear lubrication, separate from the main drive axle and hydraulic system. The power steering hydraulic loop is connected to the rear high pressure system. There should be no pressure in the front axle unit. Even the dealer seemed surprised that there is no factory supplied breather on my axle.

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4
Adding a breather to the pumpkin is a rather large project. I had the front axle out of mine because I thought the pinion seal was leaking. When I got it apart, the seal was dry. I then found the real leak, which was one of the fuel injection nozzle return hoses, one of the little short pieces. The fuel was leaking down the front of the engine, and on to the axle assembly exactly where the pinion seal would be. Yes, those pivots were dry and a bit rusty. I cleaned them up and greased them on reassembly, and left the pinion seal alone. I'll have to recheck the oil level in the front axle, but I also think you could run the axle a bit low if the dip plug was left loose, and there was any seepage.

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #16  
I noticed a small puddle of liquid near the left front wheel this morning on my way to work. I like the breather idea. There has to be an easier way to release pressure. A loose filler cap scares me where it could come off and the opening be exposed. I will have to verify that it is hydraulic fluid when I get home and then try it again with a loose cap to see if pressure is the reason for the leak, not the seal, or would it be both? If it is leaking, would the problem of the pressure buildup blow the seal so that would also need replacing?

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4
The pressure wouldn't have built up overnight if the tractor was sitting. The buildup of pressure is about 10 % from 65F to 125 F, which I'm simply guessing could be the oil temperature when your driving it. 10% is about 1.5 psi, not a lot. It would certainly get by a worn seal, but I'm wondering if maybe something got wrapped around the spindle housing and damaged the seal. Now that it is leaking, I believe the only answer is to replace the seal. As I said before, I haven't done it, but it doesn't look too bad. Looking at the manual, it looks like the first step is to remove the final drive housing, which is the housing around the final axle shaft. It has a few bolts and a slot to pry it off, and doesn't have a gasket, as I recall. Then you would remove the spindle housing from the main axle housing. Disassembly requires removing some snap rings and pressing the gears and bearings off. If you keep track of the shims, it should go back together (press) without worrying about measurements. The manual actually shows two seals on the drawing, and maybe the outer one is like a dust cover to prevent stuff from getting into the real oil seal. If you find seepage behind the axle/wheel flange, you should replace the outer seals while you have it apart. I read the thread about the breather hose, and agree that the oil wouldn't go out unless it was overfilled, or at a large angle, allowing oil to get into the hose. The suggestion to use two breather hoses is a good one, but you'd have to drill a hole in the left side axle housing. Not a big deal, but not sure how you can avoid getting chips in the housing. Use grease, or a vacuum, and also a magnet afterwards, but drain the oil first.

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #19  
Sam, are they factory, or aftermarket or home made? Do you have a picture of them?

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #20  
The dipstick on my 1999 4300 HST has a breather slot. My tranny cap does as well.

Have a 99 4300 also, dipstick on this one doesn't have a breather slot. Good info in the thread links from Kennyd - thanks.