JD 4300 seems sick

/ JD 4300 seems sick #1  

stuart

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4300
My 4300 JD "coughs" every 45 seconds or so. I am operating moving logs in the woods and have fel and 1000lb weight box on. Its almost like a sneeze where the engine and hydraulic systems seem to hesitate for a moment. It is most evident when I power down to idle speed. Normal operation? I don't think I recall it always operating like that. Your thoughts appreciated.

/ JD 4300 seems sick #2  
Can't tell much from your description as to when this event happens.

But I'd go for the fuel filter first, and be sure the water is out of the bowl and that there is a new fuel filter in there (if it hasn't been replaced in the last 6 months or so).

/ JD 4300 seems sick #3  
2x with beenthere. I'd go with fuel problems and do a replacement/check of filters and tank.

That said, does the tractor "cough" if it's just sitting at idle? Does it ever "cough" when you run the throttle up from idle (versus down, as you indicated)?

AKfish

/ JD 4300 seems sick
Thanks for the thoughts. Seems like a hydraulic issue not gas or filter. Tractor idles perfectly without the 1000 lb weight box on. When I let the tractor idle and the weight box is in working position (up) I hear a sound like the pump getting pressure to keep the box elevated. When I drop the engine rpms to idle does that reduce hydraulic power or affect the pump?

/ JD 4300 seems sick #5  
Changed the game on us with the last post.

:confused3:

Is this sound like the pump....... the "cough" you initially described?

Do you have the tech manual?

/ JD 4300 seems sick #6  
My 4300 JD "coughs" every 45 seconds or so. I am operating moving logs in the woods and have fel and 1000lb weight box on. Its almost like a sneeze where the engine and hydraulic systems seem to hesitate for a moment. It is most evident when I power down to idle speed. Normal operation? I don't think I recall it always operating like that. Your thoughts appreciated.

I suspect it is normal. My 4400, with the concrete weight box on will very slowly move down a bit after some time, and the system adjusts it to where it was originally, and when it does this at idle it puts a bit of a load on the system, but just for a second or so.

If you are not have any power or coughing problems when working under load, don't worry about it.

Wayne

/ JD 4300 seems sick
Yes beenthere I did change the game as I studied the situation today.

Wayne you appear to be correct. The box is drifting down and the system is working to keep it in position.
When I operate at higher rpms it does not occur.
THANKS

/ JD 4300 seems sick #8  
Glad to see the problem solved. Threw the dogs off track there for awhile. :)

There is also an adjustment on the left side by the left rocker arm. I've had to adjust that on my 4300 to keep it from cycling near the top limit. That is why I asked if you had the tech manual. ;)

/ JD 4300 seems sick
Yes Beenthere I do have the Tech manual. Can you explain about the adjustment to keep it from cycling near the top limit. I am not sure what you mean by that exactly so I would appreciate a bit of an explanation as to where the adjustment is and what affect it will have on operation.

/ JD 4300 seems sick #10  
Yes beenthere I did change the game as I studied the situation today.

Wayne you appear to be correct. The box is drifting down and the system is working to keep it in position.
When I operate at higher rpms it does not occur.
THANKS

At what RPM do you usually run, Stuart? I normally keep the hand throttle set around 1400-1500 RPM and use the foot throttle if a bit more is needed (momentarily).