JD 4300 SyncRev Problem

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
I've been having a problem with my 4300 syncrev. When I push the lever forward and let the clutch out the tractor either doesnt move or creeps forward until I push the clutch pedal again. Then the tractor will jerk and seem to be okay. The reverse is fine though. I stopped at the dealer today and I was told that the adjustment for the syncrev lever down by the clutch pedal was a TIMIMG adjustment for the tranny. It can be set to either jerk or pause a bit before the tractor actually starts to move. Mine does both!! And I cant stand it.

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #2  
jgbanshee said:
I've been having a problem with my 4300 syncrev. When I push the lever forward and let the clutch out the tractor either doesnt move or creeps forward until I push the clutch pedal again. Then the tractor will jerk and seem to be okay. The reverse is fine though. I stopped at the dealer today and I was told that the adjustment for the syncrev lever down by the clutch pedal was a TIMIMG adjustment for the tranny. It can be set to either jerk or pause a bit before the tractor actually starts to move. Mine does both!! And I cant stand it.
Hi: Did you ever solve this problem? I have the same problem and have been double clutching when needed. I also have another problem that I think might be related. When I shift into reverse and let out the clutch something makes a loud SQUAWK. It doesn't happen every time, sometimes I go all day with no squawk. I have tried cycling the linkage through forward and reverse and double clutching, sometimes that helps and sometimes it doesn't. I took it to the dealer once and they adjusted the clutch and said it was fixed (100 bucks and a week in the shop). It was OK for a couple days and then started squawking again.

I am a good mechanic so I bought the shop manual and tried to fix it myself. I meticulously adjusted the clutches, cleaned and oiled the linkage. At first all was good but after about a week the squawk came back.

The tractor also creeps backwards when the forward/reverse lever is in neutral. Sometimes fiddling with the level stops the creep sometimes not.
Any help will be well appreciated.
Marshall

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #3  
I,ve had all of the same problems as mentioned with my 4300 also(except the creeping problem).Mine works fine in forward,but occasionally have to double clutch reverse.
I also have the "SQUAWK" in reverse but only when motor is reved up ,like while mowing but doesn,t do it when I,m driving with foot throttle such as loader work.I,m real gentle with the clutch in reverse because of this problem.
I also had one other problem when the tractor was almost new .Most noticable in the winter when plowing snow the reverser lever would get unbearably stiff going into reverse.I ended up taking the dash apart and found two detent pins that hold lever in forward ,neutral or reverse.One was so tight it was cutting a groove in the lever,readjusted.This cured problem,only to return.Readjusted several more times,and ended up removing one of the pins and has been fine ever since.
If anyone ever finds the cure to the SWUAWK and the ornery reverse problem,I,m all ears (until then I guess I,ll live with it).Jeff

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #4  
If adjusting external linkage adjustment does not work, probably the tractor needs to be split and the forward/reverse clutch packs need adjusting/shimmed. There were some of these that were not adjusted correctly when new and if it has ever been disassembled, chances are good that it was not readjusted properly. It is a very tedious adjustment that needs special tools to do. It is very costly to have done, but can make a world of difference in operation of the tractor. There is several hours labor involved with this repair. If you have the manual, you can look at this procedure and see it is pretty complicated. If you decide to take it to the dealer, I would question them to see if they are familiar with the latest procedures, since there is an updated procedure for shimming. Good Luck!

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #5  
jd110 said:
If adjusting external linkage adjustment does not work, probably the tractor needs to be split and the forward/reverse clutch packs need adjusting/shimmed. There were some of these that were not adjusted correctly when new and if it has ever been disassembled, chances are good that it was not readjusted properly. It is a very tedious adjustment that needs special tools to do. It is very costly to have done, but can make a world of difference in operation of the tractor. There is several hours labor involved with this repair. If you have the manual, you can look at this procedure and see it is pretty complicated. If you decide to take it to the dealer, I would question them to see if they are familiar with the latest procedures, since there is an updated procedure for shimming. Good Luck!
Hi: Thanks for the response. When I bought the tractor it had 410 hours on it. It had just been to the dealer to have the clutch packs replaced on warranty. I took it back to the dealer and they said they would fix it. They just did an external adjustment on said it was fixed. Of course it wasn't fixed. I tried some things myself. I adjusted the clutch and changed the trans fuild and filters. When I cleaned the suction screen I found a 1/4" layer of fine metal on it. I cleaned it and told the repairing dealer about it. He said that some metal was normal after a clutch pack change. I cleaned the suction screen again at 900 hours and there was no metal.
How can I get hold of the updated adjustment procedure? I might try splitting the case myself.
Thanks, Marshall

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #6  
I also have an issue with my John Deere 4400 Sync/reverse transmission that creeps backwards when the forward/reverse lever is in neutral.

Was planning on pulling it apart and changing the clutch pack but I see in the comments that that did not resolve the issue. I'd be interested in knowing what did resolve the issue

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #7  
I also have an issue with my John Deere 4400 Sync/reverse transmission that creeps backwards when the forward/reverse lever is in neutral.

Was planning on pulling it apart and changing the clutch pack but I see in the comments that that did not resolve the issue. I'd be interested in knowing what did resolve the issue

The thread is 11 years old, friend...

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #8  
;) Prolly still applies today, as much as it did then for those of us who still run 20 year old Deere's.. :D

Best to PM a question to the member who may have the answer, as it could be a good reminder to fill in any resolution to the problem.
Sounds like an adjustment on the lever/linkage would be appropriate to check into. The service tech manual may have that adjustment procedure to follow.

/ JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #9  
The thread is 11 years old, friend...

My tractor is even older, and is experiencing the issues brought up in this thread. I searched a long way back through the forum to find a relevant thread.

Last edited:
   / JD 4300 SyncRev Problem #10  
;) Prolly still applies today, as much as it did then for those of us who still run 20 year old Deere's.. :D

It does. Was referred to Yesterdays Tractors but didn't find an answer.

;)Best to PM a question to the member who may have the answer, as it could be a good reminder to fill in any resolution to the problem.
Sounds like an adjustment on the lever/linkage would be appropriate to check into. The service tech manual may have that adjustment procedure to follow.

You are right, and I have already been through that process. I replaced worn bushings and worn cam lever on the selector and set the selector and the clutch linkage to the specs in the service tech manual. Was planning to replace the clutch pack or re-shim as needed until I read the post by mars 1952. It would be nice if all solutions to problems were shared. I know people get busy, but still...