JD 4300 tie rod

/ JD 4300 tie rod #1  

arkvet

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4300 HST 4WD
A couple days ago I was using my 4300 HST and felt a jerk/pop in the steering wheel. It wasn't under a load or in a tight spot. I noticed an immediate change in the steering (power steering gone). I muscled it back to the shop (I was really close) and got off to take a look. I noticed the left side hydraulic hose fitting (o-ring face seal) was loose and dripping fluid. I traced a line of fluid along the path I drove back to where I felt the pop. The fluid line did not go back farther than that particular area. Anyway, I tightened the fitting and tried again. I check my fluid lines and tried to bleed the lines by loosening them and turning the wheel while it was running... I honestly don't know if that was how to do it or not... was just trying to fix it.

Anyway, I decided to take a closer look today and and I completely overlooked the big problem... The tie rod was bent very badly to where it is pushing onto the steering hydraulic cylinder. How that turned into a pop and loose / leaking fitting I do not know but will take a guess and say the tie rod dragging on the cylinder created an increase in pressure as I turned the wheel???

Anyway, can a tie rod be straightened and maybe "beefed up" or am I better off replacing the rod. The tie rod assembly is over $500 and I can't find a price on just the tube (which is all I need). I see some aftermarket tie rods in a few places but so far haven't found any that are made for my 4300.

Any comments on my theory regarding the loose fitting or suggestions are welcome:)

Thanks

/ JD 4300 tie rod #2  
With your tie rod bent is the fitting hitting on the frame or anywhere else and knocking it loose? Don't forget the pivot of front diff. Side to side and full turn lock to lock of the steering. If you hit an automotvive parts store they will have books full of different shapes and sizes of tie rod ends (straight and tapered). Now you said your tube section is bent so any basic machine shop could make one for far less then the JD part. And stronger if needed. There are post on here of people customizing there tie rod ends for this reason. Try a search.

/ JD 4300 tie rod
thanks! The tie rod is bent back and pushing hard in the cylinder but it is not hitting the fitting or causing the fitting to hit the frame. On the right side it almost looks like the rod is pushing hard enough to cause a slight bend in the angle where the cylinder rod enters the cylinder... I'm hopeful that the "pop" I heard was not something breaking within the cylinder itself.

Right now I'm inclined to simply cut the tie rod close to the ends (before getting to the fittings of course) and seeing if a schedule 80 pipe will slip over the existing tie rod... A little welding and a cheap fix (for that anyway), then see how it works after that.

I've never had the hydraulics off of the steering cylinder. Is there a special process to bleed this cylinder or should it be "self bleeding" with some use?

Thanks

/ JD 4300 tie rod
here are pics L tie rod end.jpg

/ JD 4300 tie rod
pic 2
R tie rod end.jpg

/ JD 4300 tie rod #6  
I've never had the hydraulics off of the steering cylinder. Is there a special process to bleed this cylinder or should it be "self bleeding" with some use?

Thanks

Steering cylinder should bleed the air simply by turning steering wheel back & forth(stop to stop) while engine is running.

/ JD 4300 tie rod
It's worse than I thought! I took the reciprocating saw and cut the tie rod (it was in a tight bind against the cylinder). I cut off a short piece from the middle so I could take it to find a schedule 80 pipe to fit over it. With the tie rod cut I started the tractor just to check the cylinder operation and noticed a bend in the cylinder rod. It is not leaking but it is visibly bent.

I now have to decide if I can bend this one within tolerance or by a new rod ($200 for just the rod)

/ JD 4300 tie rod
I've never straightened a cylinder rod but wouldn't be afraid to try. What is the method for straightening a rod for a diy'er? Pictures would be great:)

/ JD 4300 tie rod #9  
It will surprise me if when straightening a cyl rod if it's chrome plated that the chrome doesn't crack. I wish you good luck!

/ JD 4300 tie rod
It will surprise me if when straightening a cyl rod if it's chrome plated that the chrome doesn't crack. I wish you good luck!

I'm not too worried if the chrome cracks. I've never really cared about the aesthetics of the tractor anyway. lol Seriously though, I have the same concerns but figure I have nothing to lose. I'm actually trying to figure out a way of propping a 5 ton jack horizontally against the frame and straightening the thing without even removing it... If I can apply the pressure at the right point and angle it might just work. The shaft of this cylinder is only 3/4" so it shouldn't take much force. I doubt it will be perfect but it might just get me back in business so I can make a more long term fix/replacement when I have more time.