JD 4310 & BrushHog

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #11  
The 513 is okay for brush, but not real tough unless one adds some steel to beef up the back side. The metal is a bit thin, I suspect it is on purpose to keep the weight down. I added some 1 1/4" square tubing to the rear that makes it much more resistant to bending when backing up and catching stumps and dirt banks. I much prefer to cut brush with the FEL on, but may do some light weed mowing without any extra weight on the front, including the FEL.

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #12  
A neighbor of mine has the 513 and after about 1 weeks use it was appaling the way that thing was bent up on the back.....like you, he had to do a little modification/fab work to get it right....and thin material is an understatement....I bet if you turned the 513 it would probably say "Campbells soup" on the other side....nothing much more than a piece of tin /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif...He could have almost bought 2 nice King Kutters for the money he paid for the 513.....anyway.

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #13  
With the modifications I made, I am quite happy with what the 513 can do. If one didn't back up, then I suspect the rear steel on the skirt would hold up pretty well. However, I do a lot of brush cutting by backing into the brush. I would rather not drive forward over anything as big as what I grind up in the 513 going in reverse.

Attached is a pic showing the three square tubes I welded onto the lower rear skirt (after beating it back into line)

Attachments

• 232407-JD513.jpg
    232407-JD513.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 205
   / JD 4310 & BrushHog #14  
That looks nice...too bad John Deere does not do something like that....I noticed on those 513's the length of the angle coming in towards the end of the wheel is a little longer than on the one side....do you know what I mean ?

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #15  
lx456a14.gif

Like this one...? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ya know... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, now that ya mentioned it... I saw a write-up on the LX series a while back and talking about the JD quickhitch compatibility...

So here's the "L" for Light duty now... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #16  
I have a 4310 e hydro and the LX5 is all it can handle. Get the slipper clutch model. PAY THE EXTRA $100 BUCKS FOR IT! It will save you time and money in the long run! The only bad thing I can say about the LX5 is that when you hit an ant mound or something, the blade kicks back and doesn't seem to return properly to normal postion. Centrifugal force is suppossed to keep it out but not enough of it to do it. Not sure why. So when this happens, it shakes out of balance. I have to slow Rpm down and back up suddenly to jar it free. I'll write more about it if dealer has anything to say as far as recalls or such. I heard that old rotarys turned much faster RPM's before the lawyers/Ralph Nader got their finger in it. Is this true???
Oh yes almost forgot,
John, even with the quick attach, you still have to get off the darn tractor for the Pto....How many have pulled away forgetting to disconnect PTO??? Come on, fess up...you've had to put that tube back inside the bigger one. hahaha
Later...Kyle

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #17  
'Centrifugal force is suppossed to keep it out but not enough of it to do it. Not sure why. '

It could have to do w/ how new the mower is and/or rust
for setting between uses.
The nut that holds the blades on are locknuts and these could be too tight also.
Pick it up and block it and look under to see if one of these
are the problem.

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #18  
You can't tighten the nuts that hold the blades on too much. The pins have a key stamped into them that keep them from turning inside the crossmember. The bolts have a shoulder on them to keep them from tightening on the blade to let it swing free.
When a blade doesn't swing back out by centrifugal force, it is usually because it has spun around and wedged itself against the crossmember or the stumpjumper disc. It is posible that you have the blades on upside down, this would cause the blades to wedge and the spring in the blade would keep it there, just a possibility.

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can't tighten the nuts that hold the blades on too much. )</font>

I agree. The JD cutter I have recommends tightening the blades to 750 ft lbs. That's pretty darn tight.

Billy

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #20  
FYI - The non-symmetrical rear of the 513 allows for a more even spreading of the shredded material due to the rotational direction of the blades. If the right rear were to be close to the blades like the left, material would pile up in a windrow just to the right of center. The system works pretty well, but you will notice cutters with an opening in the rear or with air management baffles typically can be built with a symmetrical tail.