JD 4310 hot hydraulics

/ JD 4310 hot hydraulics #1  

csnow

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I am stumped.... I have a 4310 ehydro with about 800 hrs on it. I was using it this past weekend and started smelling the hydraulic oil, I could not touch any of the steel lines. the hydraulics, transmission and PTO all functioned perfect. I changed the hydraulic oil and removed/cleaned the screen, nothing alarming on it, and replaced the hyd filter. Using it today for a little bit and its getting hot again. I am noticing my loader and top n tilt cylinders are leaking off really quick. could a bad spool valve be causing excessive heat? Thanks in advance

/ JD 4310 hot hydraulics #2  
If this is a Deere 4310 it is an open center system so something is restricting flow or leaking flow internally. After sitting and cooling off like over night start it up and check the FEL valve temperature and lines in and out. Do no operate the FEL while doing this. The line getting hot quickest will point towards flow restriction or leak.

/ JD 4310 hot hydraulics #3  
Clean front heat exchanger if it has one.

/ JD 4310 hot hydraulics #4  
Clean front heat exchanger if it has one.
And check all the hydraulic systems. If one systen is working slowly, that one may have a relief valve that has hung open. Or partly so. The small orfice on a relief valve is guaranteed to heat up the hydraulic fluid. In fact, JD recommends doing that with the steering held to lock for faster hydraulic warm up in cold weather.
rScotty