JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved)

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #1  

Used4310

Tractor
John Deere 4310
Hi All,

My power steering is almost out.

I got a used 4310 about 3 years ago with about 1400 hours on it. I don't know the entire history, but could see the steering cylinder was replaced in case that is a clue. I have about 150 hours on it.

Starting about a year/50 hours ago the steering would be slightly chunky, meaning it would move something like every 1/4 second instead of continuously. This would happen only at lower RPM, and in the first 10-20 minutes of running. It would be gone by 30 minutes in. It was very minor to the point where I wasn't sure if it was even something that needed to be addressed.

It slowly got a bit worse over the last year, but still was always fine at higher RPM, and lower was fine after 30 minutes. Still seemed like only a borderline issue.

I noticed the hydraulic fluid was a bit milky in the sight after it is running for a while, but it clears up if sitting. This is my 1st tractor so did not realize this is something that I should have checked for sooner, and that should get immediate attention, although the tractor has really just sat since I noticed it.

The tractor has sat since August, fired it up to prep it for winter and it is now much colder out 10-30F.

Went to put the chains on, and the power steering is now almost totally out at low/medium RPM and it running for 15 minutes.

Started finally researching everything, and thought maybe the suction screen is clogged and should change the fluid and change/clean the filters so I ordered the 4300 filter kit, suction screen gasket, and fluid. Got the parts and started prepping to do this, and saw a small puddle of hydraulic fluid under the hydraulic pump. This leak was not present previous to the 15 minutes I had it running to put on the chains when I noticed the steering was almost out, no sign of leak in the previous parking spot.

The hydraulic pump manifold seems to be leaking someplace at the middle (vertical) connection of the 3, and there is some dry cracking and bulging above the middle connection. No fluid on the cracks but thought maybe it is a clue. I just ordered a replacement manifold.

The loader, transmission and everything besides steering seem to be functioning normally.

What else should I be diagnosing or doing before I start into this? Does it sound like replacing the fluid, filters, manifold, and cleaning the screen will fix the issue? Or does it sound more like a problem with the power steering pump, steering cylinder, other? Are some of the symptoms coincidence? If water got in the fluid and caused the problems how do I confirm that and track that down? The tractor is stored in an enclosed barn, has only ever been out in light drizzles, although does see use in snow but not yet this year and I brush most off when parking.

I haven't fired it back up yet to see how the leaking manifold behaves when steering since seeing the leak, how quickly the fluid gets cloudy, in case I shouldn't try to diagnose further before changing the fluid or checking the pump etc to prevent further damage.

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved)
So I just ran it for a few minutes to get a few more info on what happens.

I think the 'milky' fluid might just be air in it.

It seems like a layer that is about an inch deep of microscopic bubbles, and I could just barely see normal fluid at the bottom.

Also the leak is at the junction of the middle port and the manifold, and seems to only leak after the tractor is shut off, maybe just high pressure leaking back through the pumps to the low pressure side?

Hopefully that leak is letting very fine bubbles of air into the system, past the point of the main hydraulic pump and only getting into the steering pump, so it is not building proper pressure due to the air?

Can I replace the manifold without draining the hydraulic fluid? Can I just take it off or is there a procedure that needs to be done prior? Is it pressurized somewhere that will cause it to dump all its fluid out of the manifold inlet if I do that?

I haven't been able to find the tech manual (TM1985) except at scam sites or for $500.

Just to be clear I am replacing:
Hydraulic Pump Manifold - Part Number M134346

Does all this seem correct?

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #3  
That part is available from a number of suppliers. Must be a pretty common failure item for there to be that many people selling them.

Any sort of leak in that area will allow air into the system. Changing it is a good first step. Unless it's below oil level, I can't see why draining anything should be necessary.

Sounds great. I guess it would make sense that the crack in the manifold has been slowly getting worse, and when it opened up enough that the steering basically failed is also the first time it leaked.

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #5  
I know nothing about green tractors except to say, have you ever changed the fluid or even changed the motor oil and filters? maintenance is paramount to any tractor, no matter what the color is...

No or infrequent care always results in a failure of some kind, used or new.

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #6  
If it is leaking when you shut down the tractor it could be a suction leak. That is when the tractor is running and the pump is rotating it draws fluid from the transmission reservoir plus some air which could be your problem with the fluid. My 4320 had a suction leak on the large steel line coming from the transmission reservoir/ suction screen/ to the pump. It was at a weld for one of the clamps that support the line. It would only leak after the tractor was shut down. It was a very minor leak but let alone it could become very large. A small TIG weld took care of the problem. Just a thought.

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #7  
Must have been a pinhole. You cannot TIG weld anything without foirst removing is, draining out all the fluid and then welding it and I would have HT brazed it instead. TIG welding any hollow tubing will cause 'sugaring' inside tube unless the ends are capped and Argon is pumped in.

I know nothing about green tractors except to say, have you ever changed the fluid or even changed the motor oil and filters? maintenance is paramount to any tractor, no matter what the color is...

No or infrequent care always results in a failure of some kind, used or new.

All the fluids were all changed and there was a complete service on everything by a very well run private shop who I purchased it from. Sorry I should have mentioned that! I haven't put 200 hours on it yet so haven't changed any myself, but will get close this summer and actually already have the parts ready to do it when I have a good day. I do have the operators manual, just haven't found the technical manual yet.

If it is leaking when you shut down the tractor it could be a suction leak. That is when the tractor is running and the pump is rotating it draws fluid from the transmission reservoir plus some air which could be your problem with the fluid. My 4320 had a suction leak on the large steel line coming from the transmission reservoir/ suction screen/ to the pump. It was at a weld for one of the clamps that support the line. It would only leak after the tractor was shut down. It was a very minor leak but let alone it could become very large. A small TIG weld took care of the problem. Just a thought.

Ah great, yeah seems to confirm what I am seeing thanks.

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #9  
Yes replace the manifold ( you will lose very little oil and dont need to drain it doing the manifold at the pump.) it and the elbow back at the pickup in the rear are common problem areas. if you still have issues after that you may have a bad pump ( the aftermarket 1s are around 350.00 and its about a 15 minute replacement, I had mine go bad) I had 1st replaced the steering valve. but the pump was the issue on mine.

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #10