JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved)

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #11  
paper and thumb drive manuals can be found on ebay for reasonable price.

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved)
Hey thanks everyone! The manifold fixed the problem. It was a pain getting the old one off below freezing, but just a few ounces of fluid leaked after letting it sit a few days waiting for the part.

There was a large brass spring inside the old manifold that I didn't notice until cleaning up. I guess they had the problem where the manifold collapses in the past, and put that in as a fix? I didn't replace it, maybe it caused some of the issue? That isn't supposed to be in there is it? I will hold on to it in case it starts collapsing.

I do see all the places charging $30 for the manual, but at that point I feel like you are encouraging criminals, while also stealing it. I would much rather pay $0 as steal it myself than pay someone else $30 to steal it for me and build the scam ecosystem, or just get a real copy if I really needed it for something big.

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #13  
Hey Mr. Epic Contributor, it was TIG welded about 10 years ago and it hasn't leaked since. The suction tube was removed, cleaned, prepped and welded and reinstalled. TaDa ! Do I need to explain everything?

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved) #14  
used4310
Check your private messages

/ JD 4310 Steering Hydraulic Problem (Solved)
So I lived to quickly regret not putting that spring in the new manifold.

It started collapsing on me today, which seems to be a very common problem. It causes the hydraulic to be extremely slow when it does, although the steering was fine. It collapses on the port for the accessory pump, and leaves channel to the steering pump.

Took the manifold off, put the spring in, everything is fine! Keeps it from collapsing.

For others looking for an appropriate spring, in my case is about 4 1/2" long, and tapered from something like 1 1/4" (inlet side) to 7/8" (outlet side). It is brass colored, but looks like it is galvanized not brass. Probably some good posts about it elsewhere.