JD 450 sickle bar

/ JD 450 sickle bar #1  

Bayou1535

Tractor
none
I've been shopping the last 6 months for a sickle bar mower to use around my pond and outside of my field edges but mainly for the two day love affair of trimming around the pound. It is a tremendous chore to trim and maintain the pond, only an acre but man does it bite and I like it to look good. I almost bought a 451 a couple of weeks ago as NH comes highly rated but it did not work out with the seller, weird bad vibe and the thought of hooking it up to the 3pt was not appealing. I walked away from the deal and have been looking since. Well last week a JD 450 came up and appeared to be in good shape. It has new bearings and hydro lines but will need some rubber. The tires hold air but won't last long and need replaced. It has one rock guard thats bent and some of the knives has been changed out to the bolt on type. I will replace them this fall and probably a new belt or at least get a spare. Too my untrained eye it eyes well and is in good shape for $1200. I would have a NH 456 but this was withing a three hours drive and I'm done string trimming. From what I can tell, I won't be hurt on the price. The fella was honest and seemed to be a good person. For what I need, a pull type will work great since its mainly for the pond. I'll pick up a manual and spare parts soon but are there anything to watch out for. I know they can dangerous and to use caution. Thanks

/ JD 450 sickle bar #2  
You have a good mower and it will serve you well. Personally I prefer the trailer type even though it is not as handy to maneuver. Not having the weight of the sickle bar hanging out on the low side of the tractor makes me feel much easier about the slopes.

A sickle bar mower does not need much for tires. i remember my Dad buying a new one and it came with bald car tires on it which I thought was a little weird on a new machine but those car tires are still on it 40 years later. They don't get many miles on them. My NH 455 came with tires that had good tread and looked great but didn't hold air - still they lasted four years before the one had too many sharp turns and popped of the rim.