Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED)

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #1  

Epoxe

Tractor
Mahindra 1635 HST
4600 compact tractor. Sputters out. Won't start. Seems fuel starved. I replace the fuel filter (was nasty as heck). Fill filter bowl with clean diesel. Tractor starts, runs for 30 seconds, sputters and stalls. I check the fuel line going to the fuel lift(supply) pump, get good flow from tank. I disconnect the other hose on the lift pump that feeds the filter and try to crank it, I get no fuel from the pump. At this point I decide bad lift pump, am I missing anything before I order one? How likely is it that a mechanically driven fuel pump failed?

Thanks.
Rob

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #2  
Some filter / sediment bowls have a small screen in them. If your filter was really gunked up, I would look hard at the sediment bowl valve and (possible) screen.
On edit... I didn't read carefully enough. If you have no flow from the lift pump to the filter intake, I think the fuel pump would be suspect.

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #3  
Are you able to disassemble the lift pump? Could have pulled in some debris from the tank

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #4  
Your gonna remove it anyway, so check the screens in the lift pump..
If it comes apart, disassemble it and clean any screens in it..
And if all that looks ok,
THEN order one..
Good luck

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #5  
Does the fuel pump solenoid click. If not it may be the thermister. ?

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #6  
The lift pump runs off the cam shaft.. u won’t get any fuel from it unless the pump cam shaft is turning..

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #7  
The thermistor: Controls amperage to the injection pump solenoid.

lots of net information.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 34
   / Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #8  
If the fuel pump is not making contact with the cam you can always
disassemble it and put it in a forge and shape it so it will make contact

willy

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED) #9  
How likely is it that a mechanically driven fuel pump failed?
Very common if you have junk in the fuel. Pull the pump and make a scratch mark down the side so you can put it back together right, disassemble and clean. If you find something damaged, replace the pump, they are not that much.

/ Jd 4600 fuel (FIXED)
Thanks folks. Been awful busy, just ordered the pump. I'll let yall know how it goes.